mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Truvativ Stylo 2x9 chainring compatibility

I have a Truvativ Stylo Crankset where the chainrings are toast. I want to convert it to a 2x9 setup.

If I can get them someplace and for a decent price, I was thinking of either a 26-38 or 26-42 combo using blackspire superpro chainrings. My only concern is if there is enough clearance between the rings and the chainstay. I have a niner air9 and would like some feedback related specifically for this frame and setup. I searched through previous threads and didn't find anything that fit.

T.W.O.
    Can you run 26/42? or it's too much of a gap. I ask FSA a while back about similar issue I want to put 24/39 on the crank they say that 30/39 is the widest they recommended. They said that it's too big of a difference between 2 ring. So I stuck with the 30/39.

I'd call Sram to make sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Can you run 26/42? or it's too much of a gap. I ask FSA a while back about similar issue I want to put 24/39 on the crank they say that 30/39 is the widest they recommended. They said that it's too big of a difference between 2 ring. So I stuck with the 30/39.

I'd call Sram to make sure
    I run a 26/38 with TA's and it shifts like lightning! Don't know about clearance with the Air 9.

TA's are a bit cheaper than Blackspire's but durability might make up the differance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffypanda
    I did the same thing to my Truvative GXP. I used to run the stock 32 middle ring and the 22 granny with a bashguard in place of the big ring. this season I increased my it the rings to 36 and 24T blackspire superpro rings, and I tried to remove the bashguard to shave a little weight, but now the issue I have is that on every other time I upshift on the front derailleur, the chain overshifts and drops off the middle ring.... are you having the same problem? anyone have any ideas? I played with the front derailleur limits for like a hour and couldn't fix it
    I just posted the above in another forum. I'm not sure they make the 26T for the middle ring... i think blackspire only makes that in the granny, not sure. I don't recall seeing any when I was looking for mine. but if you do find it, and you are dropping the granny gear but keeping the middle and big ring, you should be alright on clearance. my 36T middle ring just clears the chainstay. but if you end up dropping the big ring, let me know if you are having the same problems. I would like to run the combo w/o the bashguard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up just getting truvativ 22-32-44 replacement rings for now. I searched for most a day last week to find someone that had blackspire rings or ta rings in stock in the sizes I was looking for but no luck. One option would have been to order directly from blackspire but it would have cost me close to 150 with shipping. I didn't want to go as small as 38 because of front derailleur issues. I think the 42 would have been too large in the middle position. I'm just going to wait till more companies come out with non carbon double mountain cranks then make the switch then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The problem is with those ratios (if you decide to try later) is that 32 is the smallest you'll get on the middle ring. Generally you will need to mount a 26 on the granny position, and the 38 on the middle position. FRM do rings for this application. The other option is to buy the XX crank which has the properly positioned rings (chainline wise) and better shifting rings too - X-0 and X-9 look like they may go the 2 ring option now X-7 is 2x.

I can't see why the spread OR the chainring sizes are any issue whatsoever. I have a 27/40 on rotor 3d cranks, XX has 26/39. Even FSA has 29/44 (15T gap), which is contrary to what they seem to suggest as maximum spread. All of these work perfectly well with 3-ring or 2-ring road OR mtb specific FD's.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The problem is with those ratios (if you decide to try later) is that 32 is the smallest you'll get on the middle ring. Generally you will need to mount a 26 on the granny position, and the 38 on the middle position. FRM do rings for this application. The other option is to buy the XX crank which has the properly positioned rings (chainline wise) and better shifting rings too - X-0 and X-9 look like they may go the 2 ring option now X-7 is 2x.

I can't see why the spread OR the chainring sizes are any issue whatsoever. I have a 27/40 on rotor 3d cranks, XX has 26/39. Even FSA has 29/44 (15T gap), which is contrary to what they seem to suggest as maximum spread. All of these work perfectly well with 3-ring or 2-ring road OR mtb specific FD's.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have tried the 26/36 chain ring combo (granny and middle) on my air9 frame. I tested a race face crank and an FSA afterburner crank with the standard 1 spacer on the drive side.

In both setups there is not enough clearance between the 36 middle and the chain stay. I say the clearance was 2mm-3mm only.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darnold
    I have tried the 26/36 chain ring combo (granny and middle) on my air9 frame. I tested a race face crank and an FSA afterburner crank with the standard 1 spacer on the drive side.

In both setups there is not enough clearance between the 36 middle and the chain stay. I say the clearance was 2mm-3mm only.
    That's what I thought just by eyeballing it with a 32 middle installed. I knew the 42 would be too large in the middle position and isn't a smaller middle available it wouldn't make much sense for me. I still need a 40-42 large ring. I'll just wait till I really need to replace the crank and get a double at that time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darnold

i just put a 36 middle on a stumpjumper and i'd say my chainstay clearance is 3 mm at best. took one ride on it on pretty technical/bumpy terrain and didn't have any problems... although i forgot to test the front derailleur shifting. do you think i will run into problems in the future? how much clearance would you say is enough?

mtbr member
    I run a 36/24 with a Noir crankset and blackspire rings on a Superfly 29er. I don't think I would be able to get a 38 on the middle ring without hitting the chainstay. Maybe a spacer might make it happen.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1