mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Truvativ Powerspline BB

I have this BB on my not-so-old bike (new last summer), but first ride this spring I noticed the clicking sound under load. Second ride it was noticeable under lighter loads and nearly each pedal stroke.

I've read some discouraging things about this BB and that I shouldn't expect them to last long. Should I just bite the bullet and change out the crank/BB to something more durable, or should I just replace this one and grease the threads and see how long she lasts?

Nashbar has an ISIS BB and their MT2 crankset that would seem to be an inexpensive upgrade if I need it. Could keep the same tools I have coming for BB removal on this one too.

Thanks!

LightJunction.com
    If you've already worn out the bottom bracket on a bike you just bought last summer, I'd consider upgrading to a more durable system like the 2-piece cranks/bottom bracket. The external cups allow for larger bearings that improve wear-resistance and durability.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I do have a 2-piece system, but pretty low end it seems.

Former Bike Wrench
    Buying a ISIS crankset will not improve your situation unless you spend >$100 on a top quality ISIS bottom bracket. If you want to upgrade, look for the external bearing models.

Here is an example of a very good deal
    Race Face Ride XC Cranks W/BB '11 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    While it is pretty low-end, it sounds low in mileage for it to click. Before replacing it, I'd check to see if it's not the pedals, mine were internally loose and the right one clicked, taking it apart regreasing and tightening the bolt that hold the bearing in helped me a bunch. Regrease te peda/crank interface threads as well. You could also remove the BB and regrease the threads, if it's bone dry, it might click. I've seen Bluesky have an OEM powerspline BB for $5, may be worth looking into. The other option is as you stated, spending money...

Rub it............
    Before replacing anything, pull the pedals, and lube the threads. Check the chain ring bolts. If they are tight and it still clicks, then pull the crank and BB. Clean and lube the frame shell and reinstall the BB. If that doesn't fix it, then the BB might be done.

However, there are many things that will cause a clicking noise. Loose or contaminated headset. Check the quick release skewers. Make sure they are tight. Check the seat post to saddle clamp. Pull the seat post, clean and grease the seat tube.

There are plenty of things to cause a clicking. I would only pull the BB as a last resort. All the other items mentioned should only take you 20 mins to check.

mtbr member
    I've got one set of powerspline cranks, and the clicking is usually because the crank arms have loosened up a tiny bit. Now I use blue locktight on the crankbolts, and really, really tighten them down.

That's generally what I find causes the problem, but as other people have said it's also not a bad idea to pull and regrease the bottom bracket and pedals too.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ssabin View Post
    I do have a 2-piece system, but pretty low end it seems.
    Powerspline is a three piece crankset (left arm, right arm, spindle/BB)

Two piece cranksets have the spindle attached to either the left (Race Face) or right (Shimano, Truvativ, FSA) crankarm and it slides through the bottom bracket bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I will check out he crank arm bolts for sure. I am positive that the clicking noise is "low" on the bike, and therefore not the seat or wheel skewers.

I'll post back any interesting finds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I checked the pedals and re-greased them, and pulled the crank bolts out and made sure they had adequate grease. None of those seemed loose before and are definitely not loose now. Forgot to check the chainring bolts so will do that tomorrow. I just finished moving 10 yards of dirt and am pretty much finished for the day!

I have a hunch the BB needs to be greased, but I won't have my Park tool until tomorrow or Friday. I'll check the chainring bolts tomorrow as well. Still hear the click, and I think it was easiest to reproduce when powering the right pedal. Could be the chainrings...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A 30-second look and I've concluded my chainrings are riveted and can't be loose.

I think I'll pull the BB re-grease it and see how that works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, now that I've looked at my bike again in the daylight, I found that the "rivets" were just muddy screwheads. Tightened all of the screws and nothing seemed loose at all with each screw "breaking loose" as I tightened it further.

I think I have some play in the BB but am hoping that the threads just need to be re-greased. Won't have the BB tool until next week to be sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I finally received by Park BB tool and had the time to look into this further. Removed both crankarms and disassembled the chainrings so that they could be cleaned more fully, and to check to see that the bolts were greased. It did not look like the bolts had much, if any, grease on them, but they were definitely not loose. Put them back together and added grease to all the bolts, plus a bit to the nut "sheaths" that simply fit through the"backside". Unfortunately, I don't know if this was the answer, because since I had that off, I pulled the BB. A lot more corrosion in there than I expected, but it was clearly installed without any grease. I cleaned the BB threads with a wire brush, as well as the cup threads, wiped everything clean, greased her up and re-installed the original BB. Put everything back together and took it for a spin around the block. Completely quiet!! Well, now I notice the bit of chain rub on the FD when in 2x8 (the bike has a 3x8 drivetrain). Haven't tried to see if the FD can be adjusted to eliminate that as it began raining at that point and I needed to get the tools put away.

It was either the corrosion in the BB or the chainring bolts. Wouldn't have known to check the chainring bolts if it wasn't for this thread. Even if it was the BB making the creak, I now know my bike a bit better and it is in much better shape than when I first noticed the problem. Thanks to all for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas!