mtbr member

New question here. Truvativ Noir Crankarm Removal

This seems pretty basic, but I can't get things to work, and I don't want to break anything.
    What is the proper method to remove the L/S crankarm from a Noir crankset?
    Do I need to remove the big 16mm outer nut first, then the inner bolt?
    Or should the inner bolt extract the crank arm on its own?

I did some searching around the web. Truvativ's website has PDF tech manuals, but they only outline installation, nothing for removal.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    Or should the inner bolt extract the crank arm on its own?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    Truvativ's website has PDF tech manuals, but they only outline installation, nothing for removal.
    and you can't just read the directions in reverse order?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hi, i am also having trouble removing the noir cranks. i have turned the 8mm inner nut in the direction opposite the arrow (shown on the outer 16mm nut) as far as it goes. is that correct? what next? just pull the non-drive crank arm off? have tried that, but it is difficult. any ideas how to pull it off, assuming my previous steps were correct. thanks in advance!

Dirty South Underdog
    1- make sure the outer 16mm is tight (it turns right to tighten)
    2.a- Use an 8mm to loosen the crank arm bolt (It turns left to loosen)
    2.b- make sure that while you're loosening the bolt, the outer 16mm nut stays in place. If it doesn't, the crank arm won't push its way off of the spindle as you loosen the crank bolt.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    1- make sure the outer 16mm is tight (it turns right to tighten)
    2.a- Use an 8mm to loosen the crank arm bolt (It turns left to loosen)
    2.b- make sure that while you're loosening the bolt, the outer 16mm nut stays in place. If it doesn't, the crank arm won't push its way off of the spindle as you loosen the crank bolt.
    thanks andrea138. the 16mm nut did not move when i loosened the 8mm and i don't have a 16mm wrench anyway. however the left crank arm still will not budge. is it supposed to be very tight and perhaps a few hits with a rubber mallet will budge it, but i am not sure. never had a crank arm that was so hard to take off. is the problem with the 16mm nut? does it perhaps need to be loosened? but i thought there was no need to touch the 16mm. also do you need to loosen the 8mm all the way left until stops? any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the same problem. You need to turn the 8mm bolt harder than you expect, I make sure that I really grease the threads up when re-installing and it has become easier than I expected. The first time I had to use a breakbar with a 8mm allen socket to get it to start extracting. Once the 8mm bolt get touches the 16mm cap is when the extraction starts.

Dirty South Underdog
    If you just keep loosening the crank bolt, it should eventually back out to where the head of it is pushing on the inside of the 16mm nut, which will cause the left crank arm to be "pushed" off of the spindle as you continue to loosen it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanks guys. so should i just turn the 8mm bolt anti-clock as hard as possible, even beyond the point where it stops turning freely, until as you say the crank arm just pop off? i have not been wanting to do that in fear of braking something. thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    got it off. just turned the 8mm nut more and more until it came off. thanks again!

mtbr member
    You guys Rock - just followed your instructions and the Crank was removed very easy
    Work Less, Ride More