mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Truvativ GigaPipe BB question

I'm installing a 68/73 x 118 GigaPipe ISIS bottom bracket on a Chumba XCL (73mm BB with F-type derailleur) and was reading that the O-ring should not be installed in 73mm applications. I also read that the non-drive side cup does not bottom against the BB shell so why can't the O-ring be used? Isn't more sealing better?

BTW I did look at Truvativ's website for a technical contact email but couldn't find one. Figured I'd get great advice here anyway!

Cheers,

JT

Just a flesh wound
    The Truvativ BB bottoms out on itself whether you have a 68 or 73mm shell. The o-ring just covers that tiny gap, but doesn't do anything structurally. I question what it seals anyway. The o-ring is on the outside, the same side as the threads. The sealed bearings are on the inside. But t won't hurt anything!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Then I wonder why they supply it

........ just curious

Just a flesh wound
    Maybe to keep the threads clean?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You're on the right track.......

Just called SRAM/Truvativ. They said the o-ring covers the threads and satisfies customer's concerns that the threads show when used in 68mm applications.

Just a flesh wound

Cosmetics

So it is just for looks. I thought that the first time I removed my Gigapipe for cleaning and inspection. But I kept it on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

My Gigapipe is loose!

I've noticed that my BB is loose (has alot of play in it). I have a Truvativ ISIS Gigapipe SL with the FSA Alpha Drive cranks, on my 2007 Cannondale F29er. I'm attempting to do more maintenance on my own, so I went to my bike shop to buy the BB tool. They sold me a Park BBT9 tool - no luck. I go on the Truvativ website, and they say I need the Park BBT8 tool. AArgh! This bike shop sells Cannondales and they can't help me with the right tool?

I'll attempt to tighten up the BB. What are my chances for success? Would I be better off buying a new BB? If so, what would be a reasonable upgrade? I'm willing to pay for a better product, but can't go overboard.

Any other tips for fixing this problem?

Thanks

Just a flesh wound

New

I replaced mine with a SKF BB. They are supposed to be bomb proof. mtbtandems.com is the dealer. You can get the full stainless steel setup for $110 or you can get the cromoly for less @$45. Both have the same bearings and seals. They have roller and needle bearings, so they don't fail as easily.

If your BB is just loose, then tighten it, but you should get a new one anyway because the ISIS from Truvativ will fail. Easy to replace. Just remember to tighten the cranks after the first ride or during.