mtbr member
    May 2008

We the people ... Truvativ Giga Pipe SL good? or what do you reccomend

hey i was doing some research and this seemed good on the Sram website. light weight and seems good.

can anyone comment if this is a good bottom bracket? i just got a frame and unsure which BB to buy or any recommendation.

i want something that is hassle free preferably. i will ride trails, and urban riding. No nasty weather since i am not that hardcore.

Also can someone tell me what size i should buy? the frame is a Medium size 2007 Norco Rampage

i know i dont have the right measurement tool

I also see a this on ebay Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SLTruvativ Giga Pipe Team SL for 27 dollars would that be last years model since its no in the main sram website

what will my crank selection be if i use this BB ?

thanks in advance for the time everyone.
    Last edited by w0318; 06-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    measure the width of the bb shell in mm should be 68 or 73mm

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok i will go buy a proper too i guess to measure

anyone know if the pics i posted can help as a guide?

besides the size,, so whats a good crank LOL
    i prefer it lighter
    Last edited by w0318; 06-24-2008 at 04:58 PM.

ups and downs
    The much easier thing to do is decide on a crankset and then pick a BB to match. These days you'd be hard pressed to find a new crankset that isn't an external BB that comes with the BB bits and pieces.

Buy a set of Shimano Deore LX and you take care of the crank selection and BB in one go.

From your ruler measurement (a bit more than 2 5/8") it looks like you've got a 68mm shell...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    The bearings in the gigapipe SL wear out fairly quick. You'll probably have better luck with the gigapipe DH. It's a little heavier, but has 4 bearings instead of 3 in the SL.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for the conversion, helps a ton.

Do you guys recommend a different brand with even better bearings and longevity?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Try looking for a Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech II crankset, on eBay. It has the one-piece hollow spindle crankset, with the outboard bearing cups. They will fit your 68mm BB shell. I paid $55/used for mine(Shimano FC-M542) and they sre stiff, quiet, and the torque can be felt the moment you turn the cranks. You can also ask your LBS if they have any take-offs(crankset/BB upgrades, from customers) lying around.