Freshly Fujified

Truvativ BB overhaul?

From what I can tell, my Truvative Gigapipe ISIS BB is sealed and can not be overhauled. I have the bike apart right now, and it I CAN overhail the BB, I want to do it now. Can someone verify whether or not this can be done. Nothing in my Zinn book or on the Truvativ web site gives me an indication that it's servicable.

Please don't use this thread as a sounding board on just how bad ISIS sucks. I have what I have and just need to know if I can rebuild the BB while the bike is apart.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Meh.
    You can get a OEM Truvativ Gigapipe DHLT for like 13 bucks at some online retailer (I'll see if I can find which). Not worth it to overhaul it. I think you also need proper tools for cartridge bearing removal.

mtbr member
    Looks like the bearings could probably be removed however, you can probably purcase a new BB for what you'd pay for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    From what I can tell, my Truvative Gigapipe ISIS BB is sealed and can not be overhauled. I have the bike apart right now, and it I CAN overhail the BB, I want to do it now. Can someone verify whether or not this can be done. Nothing in my Zinn book or on the Truvativ web site gives me an indication that it's servicable.

Please don't use this thread as a sounding board on just how bad ISIS sucks. I have what I have and just need to know if I can rebuild the BB while the bike is apart.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Freshly Fujified

Thanks for the replies

The BB seems to be in decent shape (knock on wood) and just wanted to clean/grease up the bearings before I put everything back together. I agree that they're mega-cheap, especailly online, but I don't want to spend the money right now. Gonna ride these untill the BB implodes or the chainrings wear out, then decide on what to replace with. If I can open it up and clean/lube things, great...if not, then it goes back together tonight as is.

In the meantime, does anyone have any other comments or experience to add?

Thanks again for your replies.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    In the meantime, does anyone have any other comments or experience to add?
    I had a once in a while creak, but I just needed to regrease the ISIS interface, BB was still good. ISIS seems to work for me. But I have moved on.

The BB at Jenson for $13 is a steal. Buy a back-up or you will pay $35-50 after that special is gone.

Mr. P

Weird huh?

for Gods sake man!!

Get a small, sharp bladed knife.

Carefully remove the 'sealed' bearings seals with a knife blade. Do both sides if you have the bearings out.

WD-40 the living hell out of them to clean/purge all the old grease outta there. Wipe as dry as possible with a paper towel. Re pack them with quality waterproof grease. Overload the suckers. Carefully put the seals back on, it should squish out new grease when you do. Wipe em down well and re-install.

IF they were compromised, or not run for a while, and maybe are rough inside. Do the remove old grease part with the WD-40. Take a fine grit.......I use a screwdriver blade on a rock, sandstone, any fairly soft rock will do.........scrape the rock with the screwdriver blade to get a small pile of fine grit. Take the grit, and I kid you not....pack it in the bearings, with a drop of WD-40. Put the seals on, and walk around for 10-15 minutes spinning them. This polishes the bearings and races, removing most rust/rough deposits. If you are anal, then douche out the sand with WD, and finish off with toothpaste. Put the seals back on, and walk around spinning them for 10 minutes or so. This puts a very fine polish on the bearings and races.
    Douche it out real well with WD-40, removing all grit. Dry em out, and re pack with grease. As good as new. Re-install and save your self buying a new bottom bracket.

My $0.02 anyway
    Good luck
    Mike
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Freshly Fujified

Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Get a small, sharp bladed knife.

Carefully remove the 'sealed' bearings seals with a knife blade. Do both sides if you have the bearings out.

WD-40 the living hell out of them to clean/purge all the old grease outta there. Wipe as dry as possible with a paper towel. Re pack them with quality waterproof grease. Overload the suckers. Carefully put the seals back on, it should squish out new grease when you do. Wipe em down well and re-install.

My $0.02 anyway
    Good luck
    Mike
    This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Bob

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Get a small, sharp bladed knife...
    Mike
    Great info Mike. I wish I had known about that before I moved out of ISIS.

That said, I just did the shrap blade thing on my headset cartridge bearings and it was dead easy. I never would have thought to do that without these forums.

Thanks!

Mr. P

Weird huh?

cool

Glad it worked for you. I should have mentioned, this works for ANY sealed bearing, even Chris King. Hell, Chris Kings are even easier because they are made to be serviced like this and have an extra spring clip holding the seal in place.

So much stuff is marketed as 'throw away' when it no longer functions as it did new. Usually, nothing could be farther from the truth. Give it some love, and components will last a very long time.

For anyone still reading this thread, here is my latest 'I'm a friggin genius' idea, that of course I didn't actually do first, just blatantly ripped it off from someone else, but won't admit it, idea:

Old handgrips. The rubber ones. They of course never totally wear out, unless they're ODI mushrooms....any old handgrip can be reinstalled over the existing handle of a screwdriver. All my various screwdrivers now have this cool, colorful assortment of old grips on their handles. Makes for a more comfortable tool. I'm also partial to old parts, especially grips. My old beater no name med. crosspoint has a purple Ouri waffle handlebar grip on it. I used those grips in the early 90's.

Cmdr 'too lazy to throw things away' Piffle
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...