mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Trouble shifting after cassette / chain replacement - Giant Anthem 29er

I had my LBS change out my rear cassette and chain on my 2011 Anthem 29er x3. I was probably on the 3rd chain but the cassette was original. There were no problems but the bike had over 2000 miles and I wanted to have it ready for the season.

Now the bike has a hesitation when going to the lower gears basically dropping from 4 to 3 to 2. Sometimes it has to be hit twice to get it to shift. They can not figure it out and there was no issue before the replacement. Cable and housings have been changed.

The stock cassette was an 11:36 and they put on an 11:34.....which I do not like due to making climbing a lot harder. That seems to be the only difference in the setups.

Anybody have an idea what to check? They can't figure it out.

Thanks for any help. I would put the old cassette on to see if that is the issue but it went in the garbage darn it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Trouble shifting after cassette / chain replacement - Giant Anthem 29er

I would also check your shift cables. It's amazing that I see bikes that look fine on the outside, but the cables are sticking badly on the inside if the casing.

Is the chain installed correctly,?

I'm not sure the 2 tooth difference in your new cassette is that huge a climbing difference.

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Housing and the cable have been swapped out.

mtbr member
    The first and easiest thing to check is the cable tension. If it is hesitating dropping down into smaller cogs then try loosening the tension by turning the adjuster on your shifter in (clockwise) a half turn or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think your problem is in down shifting; ie going from a higher to lower gear (smaller to larger cog on the cassette). If that is the case, this is a fairly common adjustment necessary when you change rear derailleur cables. The derailleur shifts fine on the stand, but when you sit on the suspension it slackens the cable tension slightly. It can also appear as the cables stretch in over the first ride or so. Since the shifter is pulling cable as you downshift, and it is slack, it doesn't quite complete the shift. Then when you give a second little push it does. So you need to lengthen the housing slightly to take up the slack; 1/4 to 1/2 turn out of the adjuster (ccw) at the shifter or derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clearcreek View Post
    I think your problem is in down shifting; ie going from a higher to lower gear (smaller to larger cog on the cassette). If that is the case, this is a fairly common adjustment necessary when you change rear derailleur cables. The derailleur shifts fine on the stand, but when you sit on the suspension it slackens the cable tension slightly. It can also appear as the cables stretch in over the first ride or so. Since the shifter is pulling cable as you downshift, and it is slack, it doesn't quite complete the shift. Then when you give a second little push it does. So you need to lengthen the housing slightly to take up the slack; 1/4 to 1/2 turn out of the adjuster (ccw) at the shifter or derailleur.
    Now this makes some sense - I'll be picking up my bike Friday and will give that a try.