mtbr member

Trouble finding big enough FD 44 32 22

I am having trouble finding a FD that has enough travel thats easy to adjust for my hard tail MTB. I had a FD-mc34 and after searching it appears the max is 42t so the shop I bought this from screwed me, thanks erics. So I bought a fd-m570 because it is apparently capable of working with a 44t 32t 22t crank setup but I cannot get it to adjust just right and I feel this might not be an ideal FD for my shimano crank setup. Either 1-2 shift well or 2-3 but I cannot get it to the point where 1-3 work exceptionally well, maybe if I keep adjusting it all day I will get lucky. I searched on here and someone mentioned I should try a shimano XTR FD and I am wondering if anyone else might have some input on that suggestion. Will any of the xtr series FD's work well with my crank or should I look for a m980? I was looking at a m970 for sale. I am tired of wasting my time and money on this and am now willing to pay more to get a FD that works.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Chill out. 44t isn't enough more to matter.

Here's an article on tuning derailleurs. The front is further down the page.Derailer Adjustment

They're sensitive to being installed correctly. Or pay the shop to do it.

Don't buy more front derailleurs. It sounds like h you have enough of them already.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I know how to adjust a front derailleur, set the heigth and the H and L. I know this is my first post but I have done some research and others have had issues as well and a solution was to go with an XTR FD. Yes I can make my current FD work but the shifting isint exactly smooth between all 3 gears or I get anoying rubbing sounds because it seems like it's just a tad bit to small. Setting my low leaves me unable to shift into 3 and the only way I can make it work is if I make my cable fairly tight in 1st gear which you are not supposed to do. Basically it seems like there isint enough travel outwards on my FD and no matter how much I play with it either 3rd or 1st will have difficulty getting into that gear or I will get chain rubbing in certain gears no matter how much I play with it.

Can someone please suggest a 44t FD?

thecentralscrutinizer
    What shifters are you using? What is your drivetrain set-up?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrenolds View Post

Can someone please suggest a 44t FD?
    Sram X9 or X0.. I've found the Sram front derailleurs seem to shift a tad better (at least in 9 speed setups) sure you have a 3x or 2x by shifter matched to a 3x or 2x crankset and derailleur? odd combo's have been known to work but take tweaking.. better to just match than mix
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Fat-tired Roadie
    Read the article. Sheldon goes a bit more in depth than most of the guides and manuals. There's also angular alignment to play with.

One of my favorite culprits for poor shifting is the way the ends of the cable housings are dressed. If you didn't do them yourself, and you weren't picky about getting the ends of the housings really square, pull the ferrules off and have a look.

mtbr member
    I am positive my cables are good i just had new ones made and it is a good thing i checked them because the guy didnt ream them and it was catching. A month ago i was clueless when it came to setting my f&r deraileurs but ive done a bunch of reading since then. I will read through the link that was posted anyways. The fd-mc34 did work but shifting was hit or miss for 1st or 3rd depending where i had it set and in certain gears the rubbing was anoying. The fd-m570 and the fd-mc34 i feel just doesnt have enough outwards travel or are just not big enough, sorry idon't have the correct terminology in my vocabulary. I have older shimano shifters and i think they are deore version but not sure which version i will post a pic. I guess what i am really looking for is suggestions on which FD i should get, i have a 3x8 setup with older shimono deore shifters and a 44t 32t 22t crank. It just seems like both of my current fd's are not ideal for my setup and i only paid $15 for the m570 and had the mc34 forever so i am willing to spend a little money to get something that works well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble finding big enough FD 44 32 22-image.jpg  

Trouble finding big enough FD 44 32 22-image.jpg  

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had a Deore front on my spares shelf for ages. I think it's a perfectly good derailleur. I may still have it, but I moved recently and shuffled up all my stuff.

For the cables - the ends need to be square, not just reamed.

Also, the shifters are the brains of the operation and yours are missing pieces. If I was to throw money at your bike, I might start there.

Try dialing the high limit screw out all the way on your front derailleur and see if it will move far enough if you pull the cable manually.

Also, have a look at your chainline. Is your crank in the right place? If it's not, that's kind of an "all bets are off" problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I had a Deore front on my spares shelf for ages. I think it's a perfectly good derailleur. I may still have it, but I moved recently and shuffled up all my stuff.

For the cables - the ends need to be square, not just reamed.

Also, the shifters are the brains of the operation and yours are missing pieces. If I was to throw money at your bike, I might start there.

Try dialing the high limit screw out all the way on your front derailleur and see if it will move far enough if you pull the cable manually.

Also, have a look at your chainline. Is your crank in the right place? If it's not, that's kind of an "all bets are off" problem.
    Good news Andrew, I played with the fd-m570 shifter some more when I got home from work and finally got it to shift all 3 gears fairly well. I just had to bend out the top part of the cage out a little bit and then I had enough clearance on the outside of the cage in 3rd and was able to get 1st to not rub. The clearances are very tight but acceptable, I just can't stand to hear the chain rub in any gear. I'm gonna go with it for a while and see how it is, I wanna make the change to a full suspension anyways and don't wan't to throw to much money at this bike.

A side question, when I am in 2nd I can wiggle the cage quite a bit and the rivets seem to have a bit of play, it's not nice and tight and solid. Should I be concerned or if it shifts ok should I just go with it?

Fat-tired Roadie
    IME, most front derailleurs have some flex and sometimes the plastic housing thing on the top can have some play. But the derailleur cage shouldn't have any play.

mtbr member
    The cage on the m570 has a ton of play, I can hear is making noise on the rocky trails here in Breckenridge. I'm gonna return the the fd-m570 and I just got a XTR fd-m970 for $37 and it is a 50mm chain line which after you informed me andrew about chainlines I went and checked mine. Could be why the tolerances were so close on the fd-m570 because it goes from 47-50 so 50 is probably close for that derailleur. Anyways thanks for the good tech link post which had tons of terminology and instructions, I thought I knew what I was doing but was still missing a few things until I fallowed that link.