mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Triple crankset 83mm bottom bracket for 10 spd cassette mountain bike?

Ok so I'm new to the forum but not new to mountain biking I used to ride a hard tail about 11 years ago but I sold it around 5 years ago. I always wanted a full suspension bike and now I believe it's time to get back into biking. I've been doing a lot of research of frames and components. Seeking what I would consider my dream bike.

I would like to build what I would consider a downhill bike that can also be ridden up steep inclines as well. I know I know...why? That's what you're thinking right? Well simple my old hard tail when I boxed it up to ship it weighed around 35-40 lbs and that was without a shock fork. Today's downhill bikes have oodles of suspension travel as in upwards of 200mm front and rear from what I'm seeing. I'd love having a double crown front fork like the fox 40. But I also want a triple crankset to go with a nice 10 spd cassette.

Is there anyone out there making a triple crankset that has a 83 mm bottom bracket? If so would there be any issues with the chainline being set up that I should be aware of? Or am I just imagining having my cake and eating it to by wanting to build an awesome downhill bike that can be ridden to the top or at least up some serious terrain? Am I asking too much or dreaming to big here? Or does some one make a crankset that would make this idea a reality?

30 spd. DeVinci Wilson, or a 30 spd. Trek Sessions 9.9, etc. etc.
    Last edited by brokenroads37502; 07-29-2012 at 10:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    BTW: should probably post this in the Bike and frame discussion forum
    My opinion is that those super long travel bikes are horrendous and wallowy going uphill regardless of weight. You may want to consider a 150 / 160mm AM setup - something along the line of a Nomad or an Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I hear what you're saying I posted it here because the question isn't so much about bike and frame performance as it is about a crankset which is drivetrain related. And me being new means I have no idea how to move it. But since again my question isn't about discussing the bike or frame it's about a crankset I think it should stay right here. So for now if it's ok let's leave it amongst the other components related threads... Anyone know of a triple crankset with a 83mm BB?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You could probably rig up a Saint double crankset for the gear combos you need

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Only thing I'm seeing for a Shimano Saint double crankset is the FC-M810 which is a 68/73mm BB according to Shimanos 2012-2013 Specifications guide the only 83mm Saint they make is a single crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a mate with an FC M-820 -2 which is an 83mm BB double + bash. I am pretty sure the M815 is also available as an 83mm double.
    I still think that you are going to struggle pedaling an uber long travel double crown dh rig uphill though.....
    Are you some kind of Masochist?.....lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Commencal makes a 4" travel carbon frame that weighs in around 5 pounds with the shock. That is about as light as you are going to get with a FS frame, though it is certainly possible to go lighter.

A real monster DH bike just won't go up a hill well, not what they are built for. What you want is something between a hardtail and a DH bike, that is what is known as a trail/AM rig. Just beware that nothing will climb like a hardtail if it has a rear shock, despite what the salesman tells you.

Hardtail DH bikes do exist that can take 150mm+ of travel, they just aren't going to be much lighter than a carbon DH bike.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    A real monster DH bike just won't go up a hill well, not what they are built for. What you want is something between a hardtail and a DH bike, that is what is known as a trail/AM rig. Just beware that nothing will climb like a hardtail if it has a rear shock, despite what the salesman tells you.
    Yes, what you are looking for is an All Mountain bike. There are so many great options out there for decent prices. You probably want to start out simple. Look into a Giant Reign X or one of the newer Specialized Enduros.

But like the dude above me said, nothing will climb like a good ole hardtail.

There are some downhill hardtails out there that are super tough and relatively light. Look into ChroMag bikes. Their frames are top of the line DH hardtails that are built tougher than tanks and are completely bomb proof. They are pretty light too.

Chromag Bikes

banned
    Nov 2011
    Here is a video of a pro DH rider (a Japanese dude whose name I can't pronounce) bombing down Whistler on a Chromag hardtail frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How did this thread go from asking wether or not a crankset exists to all the sudden being about frames? Guys I appreciate the recommends on what you think would make me happy but I'm exploring an idea and experimenting with something here. Dream bike means its got it all... Plenty of gear selection and oodles of suspension travel... This thread was not intended to be a discussion about how well a long travel suspension setup will go uphill nor is it about the weight of a bike.

The reason I mentioned the weight of my old bike was simply a way of stating any bike I build with today's technology will be a lot less weight than the old one I used to pedal up and down step inclines. So I'm not to concerned about the weight of what ever I decide to build.

All this thread was started for was to find out if anyone knows of a crankset I'm searching for which would be a triple crankset with an 83 mm bottom bracket. I appreciate the suggestions of what type of bikes you think I should build and what you think would make me happy. But really all I'm trying to find out is if such a crank set exists. I've heard of crank sets that have 2 internal gears, 1 outer big gear that the chain wraps around and the wider 83mm BB but haven't found any sources for such a creature.

I'm just wanting to explore an idea. And that idea is my dream bike which would have all the suspension available as well as more gears on the crankset. Big double crown fox 40 up front and just as much suspension travel in the rear but with 30 gear ratios instead of just 10.

Does anyone know of a crankset that would make this possible?

Not trying to sound upset or anything like that but I am trying to get back to what the thread is about which is if there's a crankset out there that has 3 gears and a 83mm bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use a gravity gap 83mm double and bash and have often thought about replacing the bash with a big ring for a bit more range - this might be an option for you if a triple is not available off the shelf.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteStew View Post
    I use a gravity gap 83mm double and bash and have often thought about replacing the bash with a big ring for a bit more range - this might be an option for you if a triple is not available off the shelf.
    Now that's my kind of thinking there sometimes ya got to piece things together the way you want them in order to create what has never been made available commercially! Thanks Petestew. Is that double for a 10 spd cassette? Any part number so I can look into it a bit more?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Also would that 3rd ring be bolted directly to the crank arm or would it be on the other chain ring? Don't think bolting it to the other chain ring would be to great of an idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    Helpful to know they exist but not helpful if they can't be found for purchase readily available. Is this perhaps a discontinued crankset? Can't find them at all on Shimano North America... Shimano Europe is no longer listing them either....plus I've not been able to verify if this is for a 10 spd. Cassette... I've seen some triple cranks that say for 10 spd and others say 9 spd. But can't find anything stating what this one is... But great to know its a triple crank with 83 mm bottom bracket! Thanks for the info! Anybody know of a information source as well as a supplier for this crankset? Cambrianbike.com doesn't have any and I can't find another supplier listing them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I believe it was discontinued a couple years ago. You'd have to find it used. I have used 9 spd cranks with 10 spd chain and cassette without any issues.
    You are also going to have problems finding a front derailleur that is designed for the 83mm bottom bracket and can handle a triple crankset. The only 83mm FD I'm aware of is the Saint, and its range is 22-36 double.
    A 36t front ring on an 11t cassette ring will get you up to pretty decent speeds in a 2x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Another thing to think of is whether such a bike as you desire will have provisions to run a front derailleur.

TruVativ Hammerschidt is another option. That crankset has an 83mm BB option.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenroads37502 View Post
    How did this thread go from asking wether or not a crankset exists to all the sudden being about frames? Guys I appreciate the recommends on what you think would make me happy but I'm exploring an idea and experimenting with something here. Dream bike means its got it all... Plenty of gear selection and oodles of suspension travel... This thread was not intended to be a discussion about how well a long travel suspension setup will go uphill nor is it about the weight of a bike.

The reason I mentioned the weight of my old bike was simply a way of stating any bike I build with today's technology will be a lot less weight than the old one I used to pedal up and down step inclines. So I'm not to concerned about the weight of what ever I decide to build.

All this thread was started for was to find out if anyone knows of a crankset I'm searching for which would be a triple crankset with an 83 mm bottom bracket. I appreciate the suggestions of what type of bikes you think I should build and what you think would make me happy. But really all I'm trying to find out is if such a crank set exists. I've heard of crank sets that have 2 internal gears, 1 outer big gear that the chain wraps around and the wider 83mm BB but haven't found any sources for such a creature.

I'm just wanting to explore an idea. And that idea is my dream bike which would have all the suspension available as well as more gears on the crankset. Big double crown fox 40 up front and just as much suspension travel in the rear but with 30 gear ratios instead of just 10.

Does anyone know of a crankset that would make this possible?

Not trying to sound upset or anything like that but I am trying to get back to what the thread is about which is if there's a crankset out there that has 3 gears and a 83mm bottom bracket.
    Are you kidding me?

You're original title for this thread was asking about a downhill bike that can be pedaled uphill. Why did you change it to something completely different now?

You're original question was completely different to what you have edited and asked now. Idiot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenroads37502 View Post
    Ok so I'm new to the forum but not new to mountain biking I used to ride a hard tail about 11 years ago but I sold it around 5 years ago. I always wanted a full suspension bike and now I believe it's time to get back into biking. I've been doing a lot of research of frames and components. Seeking what I would consider my dream bike.

I would like to build what I would consider a downhill bike that can also be ridden up steep inclines as well. I know I know...why? That's what you're thinking right? Well simple my old hard tail when I boxed it up to ship it weighed around 35-40 lbs and that was without a shock fork. Today's downhill bikes have oodles of suspension travel as in upwards of 200mm front and rear from what I'm seeing. I'd love having a double crown front fork like the fox 40. But I also want a triple crankset to go with a nice 10 spd cassette.

Is there anyone out there making a triple crankset that has a 83 mm bottom bracket? If so would there be any issues with the chainline being set up that I should be aware of? Or am I just imagining having my cake and eating it to by wanting to build an awesome downhill bike that can be ridden to the top or at least up some serious terrain? Am I asking too much or dreaming to big here? Or does some one make a crankset that would make this idea a reality?

30 spd. DeVinci Wilson, or a 30 spd. Trek Sessions 9.9, etc. etc.
    "Trail Addict" While I appreciate you veiwing this discussion. I do not Appreciate one bit being called an Idiot Simply because you're to illiterate to read the original post! To Answer your question... The "TITLE" was changed simply because people were missing just like you obviously have the FACT that I have been simply asking about wether or not this Crank Exists or Not. I didnt change anything else about the original post other than the Title in an effort to get this thread back to what it was originally intended for in the first place... And that purpose Is, and Has Been, and Always will be to find the main components of building a DH Bike which is Able to go uphill starting withe a triple crankset! So pull your head out of your ass and learn to read.

Everybody but YOU has in some way tryed to contribute in a productive way and that I appreciate very much! (Thanks Very Much To All The Other Responders!!!)

Again the only thing I changed about the original post was the TITLE! Have a lovely Day "Trail Addict" You Illiteate Idiot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nater and Lanceuppercut... In order to solve the front deraileur concern I had been considering a Shimano FD-M985-E with the bottom bracket plate or it's brother the FD-M985-E2. My understanding is that the spindle goes thru the plate and the bracket replaces one of the spacers. It is a front derailleur designed for a triple crank... So im thinking it should swing over any chain ring since one is designed for a 44t and the other a 40t. But they are both Shimano XTR Race pieces and they were designed with the XTR Triple cranks in mind.

I haven't looked at all the critical dimensions of these derailleurs just yet because I was trying to identify a crankset first and then see what needs to be done about a derailleur. I might have to make a custom bracket that will allow a derailleur of this style to use the bolt holes that are meant for the Chain guide. If that's the case I really don't see a problem there either, I have a bit of background in a machine shop.

You both have very valid points and I appreciate the heads up as well as the suggestions for a crankset.

Nater, am I understanding this correctly?

Item Specifications
    Color Raw
    Weight 795g
    BB/Frame Interface English
    Spindle Interface Type RaceFace X-Type
    Pedal Spindle 9/16"
    Chainring BCD 104,64mm
    Arm Length 170mm
    Rings Sold Separately
    Crank-FD Type Mountain Triple
    BB Shell Width 83mm
    BB Included Yes
    Crank Intended Use Mountain
    Defined Color Silver

Where it says Crank FD Type...Mountain Triple... Is that how you know this is a triple crank meant for 3 chainrings? Reason I ask is because I was actually looking into the Atlas yesterday on RaceFaces website but wasn't seeing anything stating that the Atlas was a triple crank. Am I understanding that you put the biggest chainring where the bash guard would go, on the outside of the four prongs, and then the other 2 rings where they would normally sit to the inside of the prongs? They do mention a removable granny ring on their website.

Just trying to get it all laid out on paper first before ordering things. Your suggestions are welcome guys, and your suggestions are very much appreciated! It's the rude comments that can be done without!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    A 36t front ring on an 11t cassette ring will get you up to pretty decent speeds in a 2x10 setup.
    I agree with you... a 2X10 setup would definitely get me where ever I pointed that front wheel. I'd like to have that big 3rd Chainring also due to the fact that I have quite a good bit of flat roads surrounding me, that I plan on using to get into and stay in shape on. There are also plenty of gnarly trails to play on that are close enough to go to during a weekend trip.

So yeah the Bike would be used mostly just like any 4wd vehicle on American roads today. Mostly for street use... but I'd be used to the weight and feel of the bike whenever I hit the trails. So do I really need a downill bike with a triple crankset? Does anybody need a Bike at all? No, not really, because the only 3 things we absolutely "need" in life is food, water, and shelter... everything else is a want.
    Last edited by brokenroads37502; 07-31-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling and punctuation corrections.