Teach me! :-)

New question here. Triple conversion to Double with bash, can someone offer some information please?

Hello,

I would like to ask if a double front mech would work perfectly well on a converted triple chainset.

I would like to buy a triple chainset and replace the large chain ring with a bash guard.

In my head I have it all laid out however I don't want a triple shifter hooked up, I want to fit a double. The question is will a double front derailleur do the job or are there any spacing / sizing issues that require a triple chainset to use a triple front derailleur. Will a double fit and serve its purpose?

There's no chance of accidentally shifting it up to the 3rd ring due to the double shifter.

It's a noob question I know but after browsing a shed load misleading threads and posts I would just like a simple explanation.

Thanks for your time.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamjunky View Post
    Hello,

I would like to ask if a double front mech would work perfectly well on a converted triple chainset.

I would like to buy a triple chainset and replace the large chain ring with a bash guard.

In my head I have it all laid out however I don't want a triple shifter hooked up, I want to fit a double. The question is will a double front derailleur do the job or are there any spacing / sizing issues that require a triple chainset to use a triple front derailleur. Will a double fit and serve its purpose?

There's no chance of accidentally shifting it up to the 3rd ring due to the double shifter.

It's a noob question I know but after browsing a shed load misleading threads and posts I would just like a simple explanation.

Thanks for your time.
    Is this 9 or 10 speed?

May I ask why you don't want to simply use the front shifter and front derailleur you already have? All you need to do is dial in the high-limit screw on the front derailleur and you won't be able to shift into the big ring position. People have been doing this for decades with perfect results.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Triple conversion to Double with bash, can someone offer some information pleas

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Is this 9 or 10 speed?

May I ask why you don't want to simply use the front shifter and front derailleur you already have? All you need to do is dial in the high-limit screw on the front derailleur and you won't be able to shift into the big ring position. People have been doing this for decades with perfect results.
    Dead on correct. Once the FD limit screws are adjusted it is impossible to shift onto the bash with any FD and/or shifter.

I have been doing it for years, even with friction shifters that could shift across more than 3 chainrings if the FD limit screws would allow (and I have and can shift just 2 rings).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I just converted from a triple to a double with bash ring and it was extremely easy to set the existing triple front derailleur to only drop the chain on the two remaining chain rings. Took all of 20 minutes to install and adjust and I'm a novice bike mechanic at best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triple conversion to Double with bash, can someone offer some information please?-bash.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I just converted from a triple to a double with bash ring and it was extremely easy to set the existing triple front derailleur to only drop the chain on the two remaining chain rings. Took all of 20 minutes to install and adjust and I'm a novice bike mechanic at best.
    Looks sweet! thanks for the reply too.

Is this 9 or 10 speed?

Hey, I am looking to build a new bike. I got myself a full sus frame and im just doing the ground work at the moment so there are no current parts as of yet.

I would have no problem taking your advice but since I am starting fresh I was just going to fit a double shifter etc.

Now on retrospect it may be useful to install triple components, adjust them as you have stated and also if i ever wish to go back to the three rings it wouldn't be a hassle.

Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamjunky View Post
    Hey, I am looking to build a new bike. I got myself a full sus frame and im just doing the ground work at the moment so there are no current parts as of yet.

I would have no problem taking your advice but since I am starting fresh I was just going to fit a double shifter etc.

Now on retrospect it may be useful to install triple components, adjust them as you have stated and also if i ever wish to go back to the three rings it wouldn't be a hassle.

Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.
    Sorry, I thought you already had the triple crank, FD, and shifter.

Sorry, I thought you already had the triple crank, FD, and shifter.
    Hey,

No worries. Thanks for the info! any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is a bash guard needed?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chinadill View Post
    Is a bash guard needed?
    I'm never riding without one if I can help it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you want good info regarding the interchangeability of 3x and 2x cranks, shifters, and FDs, you need to be clear about whether you are talking about 9 or 10 speed. I believe that the particulars are different with each.

If you want good info regarding the interchangeability of 3x and 2x cranks, shifters, and FDs, you need to be clear about whether you are talking about 9 or 10 speed. I believe that the particulars are different with each.
    Everday's a school day!

No worries, but as previously stated this project is still on the drawing board in my mind. For arguments sake lets say im going with 10 speed, will a double front derailleur affect the alignment / sizing issues of said triple with bash in place of the big ring?

Thanks.

Is a bash guard needed?
    Hello,

If your riding to the shops probably not but I throw my bikes at all sorts so its needed for me.

The whole purpose of this thread is to gain info on a front mech after fitting a bash guard to a triple. I would not ride without one, saves the pennies on new chain rings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Is a bash guard needed?
    Think about it this way - when you switch to a double crankset, ideally the FD should be lower than in case of triple , with cage just above the chainring. However, if using lowered triple specific FD, most likely the shape of the cage will cause chain rub. Switching to double specific FD (and there are 9speed SLX top and bottom swing ones) may help as they designed for double cranksets. However (talking from experience) due to frame design (especially likely on full suspension bikes) it may be impossible to fit double FD (as its clamp has to be closer to the bottom bracket and the frame might have a curve there).

So - to answer your question: triple FD with bash ring and two chainrings, the ring may help to keep the chain on. Try without and if chain drops are frequent, then get a bash ring. I personally ride without (XC) and do drop chain from time to time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nampla, thanks. I think I'll give it a try without. Got nothing to loose.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you don't use a bash, (or something in the place of the big ring you removed) then you will need to buy shorter chainring bolts. These are not that expensive, but considering that a BBG bashguard is only $18 shipped, there is really not much reason to not use one. Having a bashguard is one of the benifits of the conversion.

Regarding the 3x FD, I always just leave mine where it would be for triple use. In other words, I don't move it down. Not really sure why you would need to, other than maybe looks. If anything, the cage of the FD is designed to be in the higher position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    kapusta, gotcha. I already got the shorter bolts. Thanks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Oops, I thought I was responding to Jamjunky

Quote Originally Posted by nampla View Post
    Think about it this way - when you switch to a double crankset, ideally the FD should be lower than in case of triple , with cage just above the chainring. However, if using lowered triple specific FD, most likely the shape of the cage will cause chain rub. Switching to double specific FD (and there are 9speed SLX top and bottom swing ones) may help as they designed for double cranksets. However (talking from experience) due to frame design (especially likely on full suspension bikes) it may be impossible to fit double FD (as its clamp has to be closer to the bottom bracket and the frame might have a curve there).

So - to answer your question: triple FD with bash ring and two chainrings, the ring may help to keep the chain on. Try without and if chain drops are frequent, then get a bash ring. I personally ride without (XC) and do drop chain from time to time.
    Thank you very much for the informative reply, I really appreciate it!

If you don't use a bash, (or something in the place of the big ring you removed) then you will need to buy shorter chainring bolts. These are not that expensive, but considering that a BBG bashguard is only $18 shipped, there is really not much reason to not use one. Having a bashguard is one of the benifits of the conversion.

Regarding the 3x FD, I always just leave mine where it would be for triple use. In other words, I don't move it down. Not really sure why you would need to, other than maybe looks. If anything, the cage of the FD is designed to be in the higher position.

Thanks very much, you have lifted a cloud of confusion! Here is the frame for my project, I cant wait to piece it all together! Have a good weekend amigo!
    Triple conversion to Double with bash, can someone offer some information please?-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    About the shorter bolts - nice to have, but when in a hurry, here's a cheap solution, I used it as a temporary fix on two of my bikes (but it's still there :-) ) if you have an old chainring you do not need (especially if it is alloy one - alloy is easier to work with), just saw off the tabs that used to attach the chainring to the crankset spider and use them as washers with regular bolts, that you already have on triple crankset.