Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Trigger Shifter Thumb doesn't return

The thumb press button on my trigger shifter has stopped returning. I sprayed the inside with some WD40, but that didn't do a damn thing. I don't really have enough cash right to invest in a new set of triggers (though I want to), so I'd prefer to make sure that these are blown before I pony up the cash.

At first I thought it could be the cable, but it shifts fine, and both the cable and housing are brand new (only ridden them 1-2 in dry/no mud).

This is probably a really easy answer but I wasn't going to search through 20 pages of "trigger shifter spring".

Bikehard
    What kind of triggers do you have? You might need to open the housings up and make sure no debris is in there causing binding or unwanted friction.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Deore Rapidfire 9 spd

one less car
    good chance you've got a broken spring, if you can return it manually like. had that happen a few months ago tho i could use my thumb to return it to the original position. if it's the spring, it's not likely you can replace it
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Since it's only one side you might be able to get a good deal on one on ebay. Plus you can buy just one shifter at chainreactioncycles.com, but the shipping is a lot.

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    This is a long shot, but did you change the shifter's handlebar position recently?

My shifter did the same thing when I trimmed some length off my bars. The new mounting position placed the shifter housing against the bend in the bars. This applied a bit of pressure on the housing when I tightened everything down, and caused the shifter to bind.

Other than the other comments, that's all I can think of.

jeff