mtbr member

Trigger engagement. XTR vs. LX

I wrote how I was frustrated with my Shimano RD, but today I noticed something with my trigger shifters.

I currently run LX, but I've noticed I have to push the thumb one in pretty far to get engagement. Then sometimes it doesn't hold its position, thus causing a chain skip. Its like I have to push hard to get it to lock.

Other times it works well. Clicking down is no problem at all.

Does the XTR carry better engagement than the LX? Anybody have experience with both and notice any difference.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    well, if you look at the internals, i think it uses a rachet system, which might cause the skipping and the long push to get the rachet to engage, and it skips if it missed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Your pawls might be a little gummed up. Remove the housing to the shifter with the bike upside down, spray some carb cleaner in there and work the pawls back and forth.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

KDS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Don't Use Carb Cleaner!!!!!!!!!

Do Not spray carburetor cleaner into youre shifters, it is very likely you will melt some of the plastic parts, maybe use some contact cleaner that is safe for plastics.

mtbr member
    what about that white lightning spray cleaner. I use that all the time on the rest of my bike. The can doesn't last long so kinda expensive, but I love it and it seems to do a great job (on mechanics of bike).

Chrome Toaster
    Engagment is the same. They use the same internal guts. Main difference is XTR has full metal external levers and so on. If you can't get the lever to consistantly engage it sounds like its pretty dirty internally. You need to flush out the crap and relube it.

mtbr member
    well, I am glad to hear they are relatively the same, just XTR more durable. I would rather save the money and just pamper the LX triggers a little more. Can't be too much of a hassle to clean them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by KDS
    Do Not spray carburetor cleaner into youre shifters, it is very likely you will melt some of the plastic parts, maybe use some contact cleaner that is safe for plastics.
    It doesn't melt the plastics, the carb cleaner also evaporates in a matter of seconds.

The problem is that the grease that originally lubed the system turns to a gummy residue after enough time, so you need something that dissolves grease. As long as you are spraying the pawls with the carb cleaner and working them back and forth, you won't have any problems and you won't eat the plastic parts.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

KDS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I beleive you are thinking of brake cleaner

(non-chlorinated) or contact cleaner, carb cleaner contains very harsh solvents that WILL melt certain plastics, just spray some on a couple of scrap CD's and put them together, watch how quickly the carb cleaner welds them together. There are some plastic parts on carburetors that will withstand this stuff, but I just don't know what effect it will have on the plastic in the shifter, better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

the chain engagement

my bike used the xt R.D and it always skip the chain.whenever i shift my gear to the last and i start peddaling fast,it will caused the chain to skip.is there any ****ion to this?for instance by tuning the +/- screw?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have owned Deore, LX, and XT triggers and I find that the downshift difference between XT and LX is huge, as in the feel and throw, much smoother engagement like butter and shorter throw with the XT (XT has 2 ball bearings in each shifter for downshifting). LX is only marginally smoother than Deore, which feels very clunky. The XT and XTR can downshift 4 cogs at the back with one push. XTR has 4 ball bearings in each shifter for both up and downshifting.

The difference in rear derailleurs I find is that with XT it holds settings very well, almost set-it-forget, while Deore it goes out of wack a lot at least from personal experience. Front derailleurs are pretty much the same (I've had Deore, LX, and XT) but XT seems to shift to bigger rings a tad faster (maybe just in my head).

If you rear isn't shifting well try playing with the tension knob (the big knob that the cable goes thru), turn it 1/4 at a time and that usually would cure most shifting problems that has developed later if it was set correctly to begin with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

is it worth the $$$$

Iam buying a used 575 and the seller is taking the shifters off and replacing them with LX from his new bike or if I want the XTR we can spilt the cost $90. to me , I'm really tight on funds and am stretcheeed on buying it, is it worth scraping up the $$? Is XTR that much better and how about XT??Also it has a XTR rear and XT front derauiler. Thanks
    Last edited by Pedalfast; 11-05-2005 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I guess it all depends on what components are more important to YOU... Personally shifting is very important to me cuz it's something I would feel directly everytime I ride my bike, so yes I would definitely stretch it and go XTR shifters for 90 bucks (think about how much they cost alone and consider would you be able to get them for 90 bucks or less later on when you have more money). The last thing I would buy would be something that only benefits in terms of lighter weight but would not give you any direct improvement in terms of ridability and feel (think titanium screws and carbon fiber bottle cages, just using this as an extreme example). Deore LX XT all has the same upshift feel and only improvements in downshifting as you move up the grades, but I wouldn't doubt XTR improves the upshift feel with the extra ball bearings and metal levers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    I guess it all depends on what components are more important to YOU... Personally shifting is very important to me cuz it's something I would feel directly everytime I ride my bike, so yes I would definitely stretch it and go XTR shifters for 90 bucks (think about how much they cost alone and consider would you be able to get them for 90 bucks or less later on when you have more money). The last thing I would buy would be something that only benefits in terms of lighter weight but would not give you any direct improvement in terms of ridability and feel (think titanium screws and carbon fiber bottle cages, just using this as an extreme example). Deore LX XT all has the same upshift feel and only improvements in downshifting as you move up the grades, but I wouldn't doubt XTR improves the upshift feel with the extra ball bearings and metal levers.
    thanks, that kinda confirms what I wanted to do anyway.