mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Tried the Search - no luck. Here's my question.

I installed new cables on my 7 speed LX shifter pods. Before I did so, everything was stiff and the shifting was crap. Now with the new cables, when I shift up from the large ring (1st gear) the derailleur drops 3 or 4 rings with a single click (5th or 6th gear).

I read my bike mechanic book and it mentions an adjuster bolt on the pod, but mine doesn't have one. Is there a trick I'm missing to get the shifting adjusted right or am I SOL and its time to buy new?

Thanks in advance.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo
    I installed new cables on my 7 speed LX shifter pods. Before I did so, everything was stiff and the shifting was crap. Now with the new cables, when I shift up from the large ring (1st gear) the derailleur drops 3 or 4 rings with a single click (5th or 6th gear).
    It's nearly impossible to troubleshoot over the web, but two things I'd check first would be the derailleur hanger alignment and make sure the rear derailleur cable is clamped on the correct side of the rear derailleur clamp bolt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

I came across video on troubleshooting rapid fire shifters. In it, it talks about the old grease in older shifters binding up the shifter mechanism. The video suggests giving the mechanism a good dousing of WD-40 to loosen things up. I did that and its all back working again. I'm good to go..