mtbr member

Trick to removing square taper crank without puller?

I need to pull the square taper cranks off my bike but dont have a puller, is there anyway to do it without damaging anything? Thanks! Aaron

You could remove the crankbolts and then ride some until it loosens, but be careful and stop riding once it loosens.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron04
    I need to pull the square taper cranks off my bike but dont have a puller, is there anyway to do it without damaging anything? Thanks! Aaron
    No. Just get a crank remover.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I should have included a disclaimer that a puller is a much better method and that personally I wouldn't do it any other way. You could damage the cranks with the riding and loosening method though several claim success. If it were a situation where a puller was not an option...well, no I even carry one in my car tool kit, so no personal experience there.
    suum quique

pedal pusher
    Trust me, Aaron, it's worth the small expense: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/119...ank-Puller.htm

No other way to do it correctly.

Make sure when you thread it into the crank arms, you tighten it nice and tight (but not overly so) with an adjustable wrench. Otherwise, you may end up stripping the threads.

mtbr member
    Thanks all, I used my little steering wheel puller, worked great, no damage. But I did order a regular crank puller for the next time.
    Thanks! Aaron

Not ever having pulled a steering wheel I had no idea, but now that I think of some I've seen, that was cool you could use something already in the toolbox...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Not ever having pulled a steering wheel I had no idea, but now that I think of some I've seen, that was cool you could use something already in the toolbox...
    It was a slight pain to use but it worked ok, I can see how a real crank puller would be much easier! I was going to make one but I couldnt find a bolt that large with the same threads as the crank. I was going to cut the end off of a bolt, drill out and tap the center so I could run a smaller bolt through it to press the crank off. I went ahead and ordered a crank puller from PricePoint for the next time.
    Aaron

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    I don't remember what I did without a crank arm puller.
    [SIZE=1]I am CHEAP[/SIZE]

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Or use some self-extracting crank bolts/washers. You loosen the bolts and they pull the arms right off. But I prefer the Park tool myself.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Waaay back in the day before I had a crank puller I used a block of wood + precision hammering. I only did this 2 or 3 times before realizing how much harder it is than using the actual tool for the job.

Don't do this if you care about your cranks. My drive side crank got to the point where I could pull it off without using a crank puller, but it wasn't bad enough to really affect anything.

EDIT: Forgot to mention these were ISIS cranks (Hussefelts).
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!