mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trek 950 cannot get gears 6,7

I just put a new chain on my Trek 950 and I cannot shift into gears 6 or 7. All the other gear combinations are fine. With 6 and 7 the chain rubs on the side of the middle chain ring.

I used a Shimano HG Narrow chain CN-HG91

I really don't see what I can adjust to make this work. Either I have the wrong chain or I need to pull the chain rings away from the crank shaft? Does not seem possible without losing a grip on the shaft.

I guess I am just wondering if there is something I missed.

Stock components: DEORE LX

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by gymshoe
    I just put a new chain on my Trek 950 and I cannot shift into gears 6 or 7. All the other gear combinations are fine. With 6 and 7 the chain rubs on the side of the middle chain ring.
    That's normal. You shouldn't cross chain anyway (small chainring and three smallest rear cogs).

I've never tried a nine speed chain on a seven speed system, so I don't know what other problems you might run into.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Performance Bike listed it as a 7-8 speed chain

>I've never tried a nine speed chain on a seven speed system, so I don't know what other problems you might run into.

I purchased the chain from Performance Bicycle. It was listed as a 7-8 speed chain

Shimano HG-91 7/8-speed Chain

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5134

If this is the wrong chain, please let me know. I also purchased one for my Trek 5200 but have not put it on yet. That is a 8 speed system.

thanks much for the posting.