mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Trek 830 derailer hanger

I got a Trek 830 alpha aluminum from my friend before he moved out of town. I don't know much about it other than it is stock other than tires and tubes, and it is green and aluminum.

I was out riding with the friend that gave me the bike and unfortunately ran over a stick breaking the rear derailer. I replaced the derailer thought I had it adjusted pretty well but just couldn't do anything to get it to drop into 4th. Upon further inspection I found the hanger to look a little bent (not much at all but still bent).

I am now looking to replace the hanger but don't know what I need. I asked trek and they said go to a dealer, but I live about 80 miles from the closest one and would really like to be able to order something off the internet. I know the bikes are different colors for different years so I am hoping somebody on here can tell me either what hanger I need or at least maybe a little information about my bike. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks
    Court

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am work so I can't confirm I have it until I get home but I may have one I can send you. I retired my 830 and chopped up the frame to use for wheel truing but I probably still have the hangar. If I do I'll let you know and I'd be happy to send it to you.

-Matt

Former Bike Wrench
    Generally three digit numbered Trek frames are steel, though I know they did have a 830 AL in the late 90's so maybe it's that.

Try here and see if you can match one up

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorp979
    I am work so I can't confirm I have it until I get home but I may have one I can send you. I retired my 830 and chopped up the frame to use for wheel truing but I probably still have the hangar. If I do I'll let you know and I'd be happy to send it to you.

-Matt
    That would actually be awesome, let me know if this will work and how we should go about it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Generally three digit numbered Trek frames are steel, though I know they did have a 830 AL in the late 90's so maybe it's that.

Try here and see if you can match one up
    I did not know that about the numbers but this is the aluminum on that you mentioned.

Dirt Deviant
    Any shop should be able to straighten it out for you if it isn't too mangled. But it looks like your LBS is kinda far away.
    Or you can buy the park tool and learn how to do it yourself.
    It's actually pretty easy.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...ment-Guage.htm

Here are a few on ebay.
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/park%20da..._dmd=1&_sop=12
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well, I have an update. After a bit of research I've finally found out the bike is a 99. While I'm replacing parts to get it back up and running it's pretty much stock and setup as follows.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...0+AL&Type=bike

Again, I can't seem to be able to figure out which one I need and the sites don't seem to list compatibility before 2002 so I cant tell what will work. The way this has gone already I don't know if anyone can help me here, but I'm still hoping..

Dirt Deviant
    Well, if the frame has a removable derailluer hanger, remove it from the bike, and take a couple pictures of it. 1 of each side, and post them here.
    Or reference this site.........
    http://derailleurhanger.com/trek.htm
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Well, if the frame has a removable derailluer hanger, remove it from the bike, and take a couple pictures of it. 1 of each side, and post them here.
    Or reference this site.........
    Ok, my big thing is that I stopped in a LBS while visiting my parents and the guy working made it seem like a very precise thing and there are several that look similar. I might be new to this wrenching thing but I know I cant just throw any hanger on there for that reason.

Im between the #6 and #49, but don't know which one to go with...

Former Bike Wrench

#6 looks like the winner to me

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's the normal #6 hanger.....Trek has used them on nearly all of their bikes for a very long time. The ones from Wheels Mfg are superior to the ones you get from a dealer. I thought I had an extra here that I'd give you free, but either I can't find it or it ended up on the last frame I sold.

If your old one can be straightened without breaking (using the tool mentioned above), throw it in your pack as a spare. They're quick to replace and can really save the day if you mangle one on the trail. Save the little chainring bolt, too (the new one will come with it, but keep the old one around). If your old one is toast, buy two.

That tool is worth its weight in gold. I got one a few years ago and use it all the time on my own and friends' bikes. It gets borrowed frequently. lol