mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trek 4300 - a newbie shifting question

Please forgive me if it is a stupid question.

I own a Trek 7200fx and I just bought a 4300 for my wife. On the 7200, when you use the thumb lever on the right or left shifter, the gears go up. On the 4300, the thumb lever on the right side decreases the gears and on the left it increases the gears. Why is it different?

Thanks!
    Last edited by guydot; 07-23-2008 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I always get confused about what "the gears go up" means. They shift to the larger cogs and chainrings, or they shift to harder gears. Because that is opposite depending on weather you are talking about the chainring or the cogs.

To answer your question, it sounds like the 4300 has a rapid rise rear derailleur on it. Which means the spring tension pulls the RD into the easier gears (or larger cogs), instead of the cable. This means the thumb lever will make it harder in the front and back.

this is the set-up I ride. It makes shifting on an uphill smoother. However those RD are much more figgity.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My 4500 shifts the same way. Its not a rapid rise though. When you release cable tension on the rear (thumb shifter), it goes to the outermost cog.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you have sram shifter pods? I have shimano where the thumb push pulls the cable and the index finger releases. Sram are different. They have thumb release and the newer shimano have a duel release. Which is on which bike? Maybe that's the difference.