No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005

Trashed my rear derailleur today...

Well, of all the problems to encounter, I never thought I'd be dealing with this. Was on a trail, just 100 yards or so from sidewalk and hit a stick. It seems like back tire flipped stick around and hit rear derailleur hard enough to force it into the wheel spokes. Resulting force twisted derailleur bad. Bad enough that, as I gently tried to get it back into shape to limp home, the inevitable snap of metal fatique seperated the derailleur from frame. Upon walking bike home (3 miles) I grabbed a bit to eat and just now looked at the mess. What broke looks like a mounting tab that connects to wheel mounts of frame. This tab looks like it is/was riveted to the bike frame with an industrial-strength extra-jumbo rivet (frame is a Jamis Komodo). Is this repairable? I was hoping I could just pop in a new RD, but am feeling the doom now. Help!

Pic can be provided.

TIA, Richard

mechmann_mtb
    the tab that broke is the RD hanger. these are sacrificial pieces so that your frame doesn't break. they are replaceable. hangers are cheap, RD's are not.

pronounced may-duh
    Sounds like you broke the hanger. Taake it to your dealer they will be able to get a replacement hanger and get back up and running. Good luck and watch out for sticks

mtbr member

Broken hanger? Don't walk.

Next time this happens, and it will happen again, don't walk. You can choose a rear cog that lines up with the front chainring of your choice. Break the chain, move the derailleur out of the way and hold it there with zip ties, wire, tape or whatever you have. Place the chain in a straight chainline and shorten the chain to remove as much slack as possible. You now have a SINGLE SPEED. Ride home and don't touch the front shifter. It beats walking...
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    when you hit the shop for a new hanger, get two. toss the spare in your pack for your next trailside repair. anytime i buy a frame with a replaceable hanger i promptly buy a spare. light cheap peace of mind.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

just along for the ride
    I drive over all sticks and they never mess me up must be a reason?
    Attached Images Attached Images

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    I drive over all sticks and they never mess me up must be a reason?
    That's so "Mad Max".

Monte

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Was definitely the rear hanger. Had a heck of a time identifying it to pictures, it was just bent and mangled.

Excellent advice on how to not have to walk. Problem is, I didn't have a chain breaker (or any real tools to mention) with me. New resolution- carry some basic tools next time!

It looks like the hanger is constructed such that it self aligns? i.e.. - It seems to have unique angles and shapes that seem to only fit at one angle - is this true or do I need to get myself an alignment tool?

mtbr member
    May 2004

There is a special tool: adjustable wrench

With all the break-off hangers I've seen, they only go on one way. The vertical surfaces should be vertical. If, not, then use a flat jawed adjustable wrench to bend it straight. Hopefully, the frame itself suffered no damage or minimal bending.

If all else failes, you could try to find an LBS that sells the kind of bike/frame you have. Then, you can look at a virgin one. Or a mechanic might remember what they should look like; if your frame is more than a year or two old.

The front hood latch on my Porsche 928 got riped off when I was doing some rock-crawling (don't ask). I only recovered a spring. I can't fix it 'cause I don't know what I'm missing. So now my hood is held closed by copper wire and a toe strap. I'll have to have the car's mechanic fix that before my dad drives it back from NM.

Happy hunting. Frame mfg.ers do stock those hangers. Fear not.

just along for the ride
    Get it here if your LBS can't help you out:

http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just be glad your hangar is replaceable... I just bent my hangar on my old frame and it's part of the frame. Luckily I took it to my LBS and he used the tool to bend it back in line, but it's still bent back a little (it bent in and back when it bent), I'm hoping the fact it's a little farther back won't hurt the shifting too much, at least it's in line with the chain again, but we didn't want to try to bend it any more since we were afraid it would snap it.