mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Transmission Noise when wet

Can anyone tell if it is normal nowadays to have a horrible transmission feel and noise when riding in the wet?
    I am riding mountain bike, and only when in the rain do I get a god awful sound and feel as if someone is strumming a wash board with their knuckles every time I crank the pedals in any gear. The only other circumstance is sometimes when I have my son in his seat on the back of the bike and riding hard or uphill. I have checked all set up, replaced the chain and the noise is still there, every single time it rains. The entire bike is new and the problem has existed since I first had it built.
    It's running on a LX rear derailier, LX rear chainset, 48tooth front XT crankset, XT chain, LX hubs. I just can't see anything wrong with it, but this damn noise and feel is driving me mad.
    Anyone please feel free to shout at me for being stupid and missing something here!

ballbuster

Only when wet sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by sulavaca
    Can anyone tell if it is normal nowadays to have a horrible transmission feel and noise when riding in the wet?
    I am riding mountain bike, and only when in the rain do I get a god awful sound and feel as if someone is strumming a wash board with their knuckles every time I crank the pedals in any gear. The only other circumstance is sometimes when I have my son in his seat on the back of the bike and riding hard or uphill. I have checked all set up, replaced the chain and the noise is still there, every single time it rains. The entire bike is new and the problem has existed since I first had it built.
    It's running on a LX rear derailier, LX rear chainset, 48tooth front XT crankset, XT chain, LX hubs. I just can't see anything wrong with it, but this damn noise and feel is driving me mad.
    Anyone please feel free to shout at me for being stupid and missing something here!
    ... a lubrication issue. Are you using a good wet type lube? Wax based lubes (like White Lightning) are not very effective in the wet. Try using something like a heavier oily type lube like Pedro's SynLube or Finish Line Cross Country. I've been using DuMonde Tech Lube and love it wet and dry.

Also make sure your derailleur jockey wheels are spinning freely. Derail your chain so its slack to take the load off the pulleys, and see if they spin freely in the derailleur. Derailleur jockey wheels love to get crudded up with grass, pebbles and twigs and stop spinning.

Is it possibly your front derailleur adjustment? Is it rubbing? I guess it would rub all the time, not just when wet.

Gear selection? If you cross chain, (for instance, granny gear up front and small cogs in back) the chain will rub like crazy on the front derailleur (not to mention, wear your chain, chainrings and cogs out prematurely) making the noise you describe. Again, wet won't make a difference here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well thanks pimpbot. I have been told the same thing, but I can barely believe the noise and feel can all be due to wet issues. I have been told that in Taiwan especially the mud is sandier than in other parts of the world and that is why I haven't felt this sort of phenomenon where I used to ride heavily in the North of England. Amazing then that it's all down to lubrication. My old 21 speed mountain bike never seemed to have such issues, but perhaps it does come down to usage and type of dirt and rain then. I have tried finish line, I have two bottles at home, the green sticky one and the white ceramic one. Both seem to fail to lubricate during the rain then, but I guess your saying I should just get used to it?

ups and downs
    The narrower 9 speed chain and drivetrain seems more sensitive to environmental factors than the old 7 and 8 speed drivetrains, so a bit of extra grit and slop in the chain and rollers, and big offsets in chainline seem to generate a fair bit of noise.