I just let one RIP

Torx wrench size for 08 XT cranks?

X-posted this in the Shimano forum, but it's not a very high-traffic place, so thought here may be good place to ask.

Just put some new 08 XT cranks on my new build (a Niner RIP9). I have a bashguard to put on, but found that instead of allen head chainring bolts, they're torx! And not the same size as disc brake torx head bolts. Bigger.

Anyone know the size off hand? I have found a size 30 torx wrench here at the house (I left the bike, since it is still in pieces, at the shop). If the 30 isn't right, I don't want to have to take the crank off the bike to bring it with me to the hardware store, so I'm hoping somebody has already gone through this and knows the proper size.

And does anybody know why Shimano used a torx wrench instead of the MUCH more common 5mm allen head chainring bolts?!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    X-posted this in the Shimano forum, but it's not a very high-traffic place, so thought here may be good place to ask.

Just put some new 08 XT cranks on my new build (a Niner RIP9). I have a bashguard to put on, but found that instead of allen head chainring bolts, they're torx! And not the same size as disc brake torx head bolts. Bigger.

Anyone know the size off hand? I have found a size 30 torx wrench here at the house (I left the bike, since it is still in pieces, at the shop). If the 30 isn't right, I don't want to have to take the crank off the bike to bring it with me to the hardware store, so I'm hoping somebody has already gone through this and knows the proper size.

And does anybody know why Shimano used a torx wrench instead of the MUCH more common 5mm allen head chainring bolts?!
    30 works on mine, torx bolts & wrenches arent as easy to round the edges like allen wrenches

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    30 works on mine, torx bolts & wrenches arent as easy to round the edges like allen wrenches
    Thanks!

mtbr member

torx

if I remember correctly its T30 on the front and T25 on the rear.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    if I remember correctly its T30 on the front and T25 on the rear.
    huh?

4 chainring bolts in a circular pattern. not sure where you come up with front and rear. unless you are referring to disc brakes, which wasn't the question. disc brake rotors use T25 front and rear.

T30 did work.

mtbr member
    huh?

4 chainring bolts in a circular pattern. not sure where you come up with front and rear. unless you are referring to disc brakes, which wasn't the question. disc brake rotors use T25 front and rear.

T30 did work.
    Chain ring bolts are 2 pieces. front and rear. male and female. ect ect
    I guess XT is different than XTR. I have the XTR cranks and the chainring bolts are a T30 in the front and T25 in the rear.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    Chain ring bolts are 2 pieces. front and rear. male and female. ect ect
    I guess XT is different than XTR. I have the XTR cranks and the chainring bolts are a T30 in the front and T25 in the rear.
    ahh...ok, I misunderstood what you meant by front and rear.

My XT just has the normal slotted rear (where you use the flathead screwdriver-like tool).

Look at the time!
    Because they are aluminum,
    and 5mm allen head aluminum CR bolts become rounded easily if you are not careful. Torx heads can take much more torque.
    Kind of annoying though that it can't be the same size as the disc brake screws.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs