formerly Giantxc

Top Swing vs. bottom swing front d

Hey all,

I know the difference between a top and bottom swing derailluer, but am curious whether their are supposed advantages with either design besides the clamp mounting height?

I've used both and my experence with bottom swings has been less then stellar, but is limited to a 10-15 year old exage mech and an late 90's LX. However, most people seem to say that the bottom swing is crisper and more reliable.

The reason I ask is I finally found a couple of top pull derailleurs that will work with the 38/48 set up on my cyclocross bike. One is a top swing, the lowest end model, the other three are bottoms swing.

Thanks

Mike

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have experience with top and bottom swing with only a few FD; however your right about top swing its much more crisp. When you shift to the lowest (smallest) gear it snaps down very quickly. I have a xt front and it works pretty well, my only complaints is that the new 05' top swing have alot of bulk due to the mechanisms and the cable pull is to far left. Top swings have the best look since they kinda hide down there and are out of the way; and a top swing would never fit my frame. I think top swings are they way to go, if you are ever concerned frame clearance.

I would have went with a bottom swing since they are usualy cheaper and have a greater range of adjustment and better cable routing but you know how it goes.