mtbr member

top swing vs bottom swing

Putting new front der on a bare frame. Components I have are a mix of XT and XTR. Front der requires top pull. Is there an advantage to top swing vs bottom swing or vice versa? I am more used to bottom swing and think it looks better but want to go with best performance.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Do A Search Of This Forum

This topic has been discussed several times.

My personal preference is for bottom swing in terms of durability and performance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Traditional front derailleurs will break down most mountain bike shifters due to the extra effort/extra force they require to operate.

The new style derailleur works much better and starts at price ranges of $7. The nicest of this type are the Deore and Deore LX. The LX is actually able to shift much larger chainrings than it was designed for, and it is error-free.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhaden
    Traditional front derailleurs will break down most mountain bike shifters due to the extra effort/extra force they require to operate. .....
    Huh? I have '02 shimano triggers i just transfered to a new frame with a new bottom swing front derailleur that works fine. It can off the only bike i owned for that time period (until the SS in Nov '05), ridden about 3-4 times a week, abused for the last 2 years with no fresh cable housing and HARD effort to shift because of it. Alls was fine after new cables installed.