Anytime. Anywhere.

Tools for new Dues crankset

Are there any special tools needed to install the new external bb Deus cranks? I have a set on the way and can't seem to open the pdf file on RF's site.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Are there any special tools needed to install the new external bb Deus cranks? I have a set on the way and can't seem to open the pdf file on RF's site.

All I used was this:

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...5&item=BBT%2D9

Be careful tightening the crank bolt, I've read some things about it being soft and the head rounding off. I don't know if they've started using a harder bolt with the Dues or not.

Dean

Anytime. Anywhere.

Bbt-9

Thanks, I'll pick one up this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I couldn't get a Pedros tool to work too well with a Deus BB, so stick with the Park. I think even a strap wrench should be able to do the job, i don't have mine at the Park recommended 60 ft/lb, i just snugged it up closer to 18 ft/lb.

Also watch out with the crank bolt, its soft aluminium, too soft to crank to the hard stop in one shot. Go as far as you dare and remove the crank regrease and go again, repeat as necessary. OR you could get a steel bolt to seat the thing in one shot.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I couldn't get a Pedros tool to work too well with a Deus BB, so stick with the Park. I think even a strap wrench should be able to do the job, i don't have mine at the Park recommended 60 ft/lb, i just snugged it up closer to 18 ft/lb.

Also watch out with the crank bolt, its soft aluminium, too soft to crank to the hard stop in one shot. Go as far as you dare and remove the crank regrease and go again, repeat as necessary. OR you could get a steel bolt to seat the thing in one shot.
    I have an XT crankset but use Race Face cups.. and the Pedros tool didn't match the pattern that well.... the BB got scratched when I pushed a little..... it works great on the Shimano BB cups though.

Cheers,
    Cris

Do It Yourself
    I used the Shimano tool that comes with the XTR on mine and it worked great. My LBS had a few extras and it to me.
    Long Live Long Rides

Anytime. Anywhere.

Crank bolt

Are these standard size crank bolts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No, the steel bolts come with the Diablous and Atlas cranks.

mtbr member

Like RATT said, they're a different size than the old bolts. I'm pretty sure that a steel Atlas bolt is interchangeable with the aluminium Deus bolt. You might take a read through this thread:

RaceFace takes advantage of loyal customers

It's got some good info interspersed with the flaming.

Dean

mtbr member
    One think to keep in mind with the park tool is that depending on your bike there could be some clearance issue issues with suspension pivots if your frame has large pivots close to the BB shell..

On my Foes FXR the Park tool did not clear the non drive side pivot very well. I ended up using a the Pedro's tool (but I still had to cut it down a little). I still use the park on the drive side.

I like the Park tool better but just something to consider.

Do It Yourself
    The crank bolt is an 8mm but it's not a stardard crank bolt. There is only one as the NDS is fixed to the spindle. The cap goes on with a 10mm.
    Long Live Long Rides

Anytime. Anywhere.

Okay

I picked up a BBT-9, torque wrench, bash guard, and on an unrelated matter a Surly 1X1 disc fork. All I need now is for the postman to bring a big box o parts.