mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tired of the frequent 9spd adjustments ; should I go back to 8 spd??

I rode much more than I do now back in the day and wish to have those days back because I seldom had to adjust the da%# derailleur because I had more "leeway" with 8spd. Any of you guys go back to 8 speed, if so why?? FWIW, I've had problems with 9spd both on my full susp and my hardtail (Marin Mt Vision & Orbea Team)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been riding a Titus Loco Moto since 2000. The only adjustments to my 9 spd have been when I changed the cable and housing. Same true for my wifes Trek and now Klein Adept Comp. Not sure why you're having so much trouble with yours, but if it's going out of whack that quickly going to 8 spd may not solve the problem. Might be something in the chainline or derailleur hanger.

bi-winning
    I agree that 8 may have an advantage over 9, but you should not need to make adjustments very often. My 9 is relatively set and forget.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think I may try a good set of cables next. I've had a bike mechanic double-check my adjustments, check for correct chain length, cable housing, etc. I installed a roll-a-ma-jig and it seemed to help on the Marin. Thanks for the responses BTW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I found the culprit and it was my Salsa SS Quick release which would slide the cassette down in the droput just a little and throw off the shifting (despite being hella tight). Shifts great now and it also explains why I had the problem on both a hardtail and the new bike. Same set of skewers was used on both. Thanks for the replies

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by beaux deuk
    I found the culprit and it was my Salsa SS Quick release which would slide the cassette down in the droput just a little and throw off the shifting (despite being hella tight). Shifts great now and it also explains why I had the problem on both a hardtail and the new bike. Same set of skewers was used on both. Thanks for the replies
    Glad you got you problems sorted out.

I like when people give an update to how they remedied a problem that was previously posted. It improves search results when others have the same problem, and gives others things to check when trying to remedy similar problems.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club