mtbr member
    May 2008

Tips for getting a chain pin back in - man it's a pain!

I added a link to my chain today and it took me forever to align the pin and getting it back in the link. Does anyone have any tips for doing this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Modern flush pin chains aren't designed for reclosing with a normal pin. The ends of the pins are flared out over the plate slightly to keep the plate from going over the edge. While you can cut these, reclosing requires either a special pin and tool al la Shimano, or a closure link, al la Sram and Wippermann.

If you're using an older chain with pins that can be reclosed, the trick it not to push them too far out. You leave about 1mm inside the outer plate, and sort of snap the chain apart, then snap it back together, and push the pin back.

If you're unsure, ask someone knowledgeable if your chain is OK with a reused pin. Bad closures are the number one cause of chain failures.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    second that ^^^^

I would NOT ride a chain with the old standard pin pushed back through, unless you REALLY like to try to cram your knee through your stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

8, 9, & 10s chains cannot be spliced w/o special pin or link

Just to clarify my earlier post.

8, 9, & 10 speed chains are all of the flush pin type and cannot be spliced except by using the approved closure, either a special pin or link.

5 & 6 speed chains are all of the inteference fit, unriveted pin type and can be cut or spliced anywhere with a standard chain tool.

7 speeds swing both ways, and you can tell which is which by looking at the pin. If it has plain ends and extends beyond the plate by about 1/32" or more, it's splicable. If the end of the pin is flush with the plate and looks like it might have been peened over, it can't be spliced.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.