mtbr member

Tioga Surefoot MXPRO Platform Maintenance

Anybody worked on these? I just looked inside mine. From what I can tell there are no inner bearings, close to the crank, just some outer bearings inside the aluminum dust cap. These I'm having trouble removing. I'm interested in replacing them after two years.

I've gone through a couple of sets of studs. When they're sharp and new, the pedals are so grippy it's almost like being clipped in, which is great for efficient hill climbing. Once you smash them on a rock, you probably won't be able to get a wrench inside them. In that case, grab them with vice grips and carefully back them out. You can extend the life of the studs by sharpening them. Just get a bit that's slightly smaller in diameter than the stud and drill a short depth into them. If the bit is big enough, it'll leave a sharp rim where your wrench used to go (which of course won't work after this).
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

mtbr member
    That's weird, my outer bearings just come out without any difficulty. Try taking like a spoke and pushing the bearing out from the inner side of the pedal body, mine came out effortlessly that way. On the other hand, I seem to have trouble with the bushings - it seems like there is play between the axle and the bushing and I can not get rid of it. Also, there is horizontal play in one of the pedals which can be fixed by tightening the dust cup but that doesn't seem like the proper method for doing this. Any pointers?

mtbr member

Tiogao MX Pro Pedals

Did you get replacement bearings and bushings? If so, where? I left a message at Tioga and they didn't get back to me. Anyway, for now things looked OK so I just wiped out the bushings, squirted some Phil Wood in there and reassembled.

Mine had lateral play before I did this, now they seem fine. I'm not sure the outer dust cap puts tension on anything. Probably the nut on the outer end of the axle instead. Yet when I experimented with how tight I made this nut, it didn't seem to make any difference. Probably because the only tool I have that will reach the nut is a socket on a screw driver.

It would be nice to find some technical information, diagrams with torque settings and such, but I haven't located anything on the web.
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

mtbr member
    I didn't get anything new - I just pulled them apart one day to see what was causing the play I mentioned. When I put them back together, one pedal was fine and the one that had play now had even more play. No matter how tight I tightened the nut on the outer end of the axle, it wouldn't make the side to side play go away. Once I tightened the dust cap all of the play went away. I would be surprised if the pedal is actually supposed to work that way - it seems to me that one of the bushings was pressed in too far (or not far enough).

About bearings, they might have a bearing number somewhere - if you get the number, you can get any bearing with the same number. I don't know if the bushings are replaceable and where to get some.