mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Time To Replace Chain ?

I have two pretty tuff seasons of Northeast riding on my chain, which is whatever came stock on my Haro x6. probably a cheaper SRAm or Shimano.

Its winter so I've been doing maintenance. I took off the chain and cleaned and degreased it, then it sat for about 2 months. I put it back on the bike tonight (along with a new rear cassette) and when in the largest 2 gears in back(8 & 9 I guess) it keeps making the "I wanna shift" sound.

Everything seems good except for this sound. It's shifting well up and down. I just couldn't get rid of this noise. Oddly, if I pushed the rear derailleur forward a little to relieve tension on the chain a bit, the sound would stop.

I took the chain back off to check it out and discovered ALOT of sticky links that hard or don't want to pivot.

Question: should I try and salvage this chain or scrap it and get a new one? I'd be willing to spend around $30 on one. Suggestions?

TIA
    -Chris

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I would say get a new one. You also might need a new cassette though. Most likely, when you change the chain, you have to change the cassette to avoid skipping.
    This is an invaluable tool to check your chain for stretch: http://www.parktool.com/products/det...at=5&item=CC-2

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

skip the tool

just use a tape measure or ruler
    measure 12" from pin to pin, if its 1/16" over new chain, if its more than 1/8" over , maybe new rings and / or cassette, if its more than 1/8" over probably rings and cassette

in the future, change the chain when it gets 1/16" and you can get 3-5 chains for every set of rings and even more on the cassette

the problem is when the chain wears it gets loose and longer and wears the teeth on the gears to fit, then when you buy a new chain it wont fit the teeth so you get shifting, skipping and chain suck

the tools are ok but they are easily missused and they only measure a 4 " section of chain , so not as accurate

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    As mentioned I did install a new cassette. it came on a new set of wheels i bought off ebay, which were take-offs from a new bike. it has an XT cassette.

I'm not so concerned that the chain stretched. Are the sticky/tight/partially seized links even repairable or is the chain a lost cause?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "I'm not so concerned that the chain stretched."

You should be, the reason you are getting the "I wanna shift" sound is partially due to the sticky links, but is also due to the fact that the chain HAS stretched. It is more than likely toast! A single full season of regular riding in the dirt will lunch just about any chain, two full seasons and I guarentee the chain should be worn out. Unless you only ride once a month. The clue is the skipping sound, the old chain doesn't match the profile of the teeth on the new cassette. Listen to what the others are telling you, they're speaking from experience. Measure the chain as dan0 suggested. I think you'll find that your chain is likely out around the 1/8" mark, if not more, and overdue for replacement. Even if you are able to loosen up the stiff links, the chain might shift fine in the stand, but get it out in the dirt and ride it and it'll skip under pressure. I'd also highly recommend that you examine your chain rings as well. Look for a hooked shark fin appearance to the individual teeth on the rings. If they are starting to look hooked, it's time for new chain rings as well.

We're not trying to get you to spend more money here, we're trying to save you some time, money, and headaches in the long run. So measure the chain as recommended. If it's good then try loosening things up. If it's 1/16 to 1/8" out replace it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    if I'm reading right over a span of 12 inches tthe pins should be on center? it actually comes out about 12&3/32.

i'm gonna buy a new Sram PC-991 Cross Step Chain w/ Powerlink

thnx for your help guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    just use a tape measure or ruler
    measure 12" from pin to pin, if its 1/16" over new chain, if its more than 1/8" over , maybe new rings and / or cassette, if its more than 1/8" over probably rings and cassette

in the future, change the chain when it gets 1/16" and you can get 3-5 chains for every set of rings and even more on the cassette

the problem is when the chain wears it gets loose and longer and wears the teeth on the gears to fit, then when you buy a new chain it wont fit the teeth so you get shifting, skipping and chain suck

the tools are ok but they are easily missused and they only measure a 4 " section of chain , so not as accurate
    +1 on this. It works... Tool is also just a fancy ruler.