Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255

    Time for a new CRANKSET

    My Race Face evolve is getting old.. When the chain is off and I spin the cranks it rotates a couple turns then haults. Im guessing thats the bottom bracket, but my chain rings are also worn.

    I'm thinking about a new Shimano XT, any objections or suggestions?

    By the way I ride an Intense Tracer and do everything from racing to tech. downhills!
    Intense Tracer

  2. #2
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,192

    XT Hollowtech's good. FRM CU2 Double?

    I've been pedaling XT Hollowtech, so far the best (light, stiff, and reliable) that I've ever used, but my next crank set will likely be a FRM CU2 Integrated Crankset, Double (2x9) 716 grams with bottom bracket for $385 [vs. $470 for Shimano XTR 9-Speed Crankset (FC-M960) 797 grams]

    http://www.notubes.com/product_info....products_id/86

    FSA still has some Afterburner 2x9, (a.k.a. Afterburner World Cup) and it comes with a 29/44 chainring combo. It's an ISIS drive crankset, so it will require a separate ISIS BB.

    the rest of my bike will be SRAM X.9s or X.Os & Triggers as time's nearly up to replace my drive train.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 02-16-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: logbiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,819
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    My Race Face evolve is getting old.. When the chain is off and I spin the cranks it rotates a couple turns then haults. Im guessing thats the bottom bracket, but my chain rings are also worn.

    I'm thinking about a new Shimano XT, any objections or suggestions?

    By the way I ride an Intense Tracer and do everything from racing to tech. downhills!
    Might be cheaper to replace the BB bearings & get some deore chainrings... just a suggestion (=
    but I don't want to throw a bummer into your new crank jones. XT and LX are always good options.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255
    I think I'm gona for a a whole new crankset. What size arms would I need? It looks like the XT 760 only comes in 175mm
    Intense Tracer

  5. #5
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,192

    RF X-type?

    Quote Originally Posted by drjos
    XT is very nice. Stay away from RF X-type. Very bad execution of the outboard bearing concept.
    Is this "X-Race Integral crankset for cross country use" which is FRM CU2 the same as "RF X-type" ?
    And why is RF X-type a "...very bad execution of the outboard bearing concept..."?

    I'm hesistant to go with new FRM CU2, as so far my XT/Hollowtech's fine (I just need/want new chain, cassette, rear derealleir & shifter...in SRAM X9 or XO).
    Last edited by TrailNut; 02-17-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    My Race Face evolve is getting old.. When the chain is off and I spin the cranks it rotates a couple turns then haults. Im guessing thats the bottom bracket, but my chain rings are also worn.

    I'm thinking about a new Shimano XT, any objections or suggestions?

    By the way I ride an Intense Tracer and do everything from racing to tech. downhills!
    XT is very nice. Stay away from RF X-type. Very bad execution of the outboard bearing concept.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    Is this "X-Race Integral crankset for cross country use" which is FRM CU2 the same as "RF X-type" ?
    And why is RF X-type a "...very bad execution of the outboard bearing concept..."?

    I'm hesistant to go with new FRM CU2, as so far my XT/Hollowtech's fine (I just need/want new chain, cassette, rear derealleir & shifter...in SRAM X9 or XO).

    The race face is a bad execution because lateral bearing pressure is dependent on spacers. That and the fact that race face x-type bearings are not as well engineered as Shimano's equivalent BB.

    I assembled a Dues set according to instructions and they had tons of drag. RF said to remove spacers until it felt better. Having to remove the cranks 2-4 times to determine proper washers is bogus. Especially when I ended up having a spline failure, probably because the cranks had to be removed so many times.

    Shimano and others use a thrust nut to set lateral bearing pressure and then have a spine/pinch system for fixing the crank arm. Much more effective.

  8. #8
    nav
    nav is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos
    I assembled a Dues set according to instructions and they had tons of drag. RF said to remove spacers until it felt better. Having to remove the cranks 2-4 times to determine proper washers is bogus. Especially when I ended up having a spline failure, probably because the cranks had to be removed so many times.
    I honestly have no idea how you assembled your Deus XC crankset, so please don't take this as an accusation.

    When I was recently installing my first X-Type crankset (an Evolve XC), I did it incorrectly the first time because it came with extra spacers. Removing the extraneous spacers not only led to absolutely no drag, but I suddenly realized through experience exactly what everyone says about "bottom out" of the crank bolt. It reaches an absolute, sudden, hard bottom out when it's done being tightened (at about ~60 ft lbs according to my torque wrench). It should still spin very smoothly afterward if done properly.

    Now, I haven't had this crankset for a long time yet, so I can't vouch on bearing or chainring reliability. I'm hoping it works out because I have a Deus XC in my closet waiting for my next bike build .

  9. #9
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    I think I'm gona for a a whole new crankset. What size arms would I need? It looks like the XT 760 only comes in 175mm
    175 is getting long. For DH you want a 165 for big rock clearance, 170 is a great comprimise for clearing obsticles & good rotation, 175 better have a high BB & long legs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •