Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

Time for a new cassette?

I put about 900 miles on a Real cassette last year. It was never the snappiest shifting cassette, but it always ran fairly smoothly. I just replaced my KMZ chain with a SRAM PC-99 hollow pin, now the middle of my cassette skips. I used mostly the middle of my cassette commuting the three middle cogs saw the most use, now thats where it skips. I think it's time for a new cassette.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by liatdraH
    I put about 900 miles on a Real cassette last year. It was never the snappiest shifting cassette, but it always ran fairly smoothly. I just replaced my KMZ chain with a SRAM PC-99 hollow pin, now the middle of my cassette skips. I used mostly the middle of my cassette commuting the three middle cogs saw the most use, now thats where it skips. I think it's time for a new cassette.
    Well I can't say as 900 miles is a lot, especially commuting. If so I had better look at replacing my SRAM PG950 -11-34T cassette that came w/ my bike as I just hit 900 miles on it doing mostly serious road and off road cranking. I use the middle gears quite a bit in both middle and big ring. You can get the PG990 cassette's for around $35 and you can pick up the PG970 for around $25 - check Jenson..
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Jm.
    mtbr member
    yep, it's time for a new cassette, you need to change your chain more frequently to avoid this problem
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    yep, it's time for a new cassette, you need to change your chain more frequently to avoid this problem
    SO Jm how often should you change your chain? I know you should at least chainged it when and if you change your cassette or chainrings, but other than that how can you tell? there's sposed to be a way to measure the stretch of the chain right?

Sorry for the sarcasticish type post, jist was buy a better cassette this time around.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

just along for the ride
    Chains last 500-800m for me depending on the season, I would suggest if you want to spend less time on your drivetrain to go steel, LX cassette with deore cranks last about 3 times longer than the sram cassettes and LX+ cranks. The penalty is weight but what's a couple ounces unless you ar racing.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Chain Stretch

You should change the chain when 12 links measure 12 1/8"

Usually with proper chain replacement you can get 3-4 chains in before you have to change your cassette or chainrings. I use 2 chains at the same time and swap between them every 500 miles or so. This way everything is more in sync wear wise.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    You should change the chain when 12 links measure 12 1/8"

Usually with proper chain replacement you can get 3-4 chains in before you have to change your cassette or chainrings. I use 2 chains at the same time and swap between them every 500 miles or so. This way everything is more in sync wear wise.
    i disagree, at 12 1/8th you've usually already ruined the cassette. Change it between 1/32 and 1/16th as a max value.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    My bad, you're right 1/16.

just along for the ride
    I find its way easier to measure the chain over a 4' lenght, if its out more than 3/16" time to change it especially if running al cassette and rings.

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by liatdraH
    ... Real cassette...
    Had one of those years ago... (8-sp).
    Hated it. Worked sort-of-OK with a SRAM chain, but using a Shimano chain - skippidy-skip.
    All were new chain(s) & new cassette

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for all the replies here from all. So going by the 500-800 miles changing the chain I will be replacing my chain every 2 months or less - April I did 420+ miles. Guess I better try to find a good chain and buy a few then. Any recomendations for a good chain? I'll think about which cassette I'm gona upgrade to in a couple months.

What sort of milage should you get out of a cassette, should I be looking at a new cassettte once a year or more frequently with my average 400 miles a month riding?

edit Just measured my chain and for 12 links got 11 7/8", what's the normal measurement for a new / non-stretched chain?
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-06-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Shouldn't 12 links be 12" new ?

As far as mileage for parts goes it can vary a lot depending on conditions such as mud/sand/water, how well you shift (ie no shifting under load), and how tolerant you are to occasional skipping and such.

Most of my cassettes last me several years (but I can only ride maybe 8 months) and I haven't thrown out a chain mid-season for a while. And in 15 yrs of riding I've only replaced 1 chainring because it was worn out.

Real cassettes are notorious for shifting problems as are most aftermarket aluminum and titanium cogsets.