mtbr member

Is it time to get a new BB?

So I recently noticed a little giggle in my crank arms. It is a side to side giggle and it is with both crank arms. It is an Truvative ISIS and have heard there have durability issues with them. I have been riding with the current set up for a year with a considerable amount of riding. Can I rebuild the BB to get rid of the giggle or is it time for a new one (I am eventually going to get a chain guide and Diabolus crank set in the future) or should I go ahead and replace it?

Thanks
    M
    I sold my soul for pennies....but I got a VP Free thrown in as well, man what a deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNEWBIE
    So I recently noticed a little giggle in my crank arms. It is a side to side giggle and it is with both crank arms. It is an Truvative ISIS and have heard there have durability issues with them. I have been riding with the current set up for a year with a considerable amount of riding. Can I rebuild the BB to get rid of the giggle or is it time for a new one (I am eventually going to get a chain guide and Diabolus crank set in the future) or should I go ahead and replace it?
    Before replacing or rebuilding it, make sure that the BB cups are tight. If the cups are tight and the play is not coming from the BB cartridge moving from side to side in the frame, then you need to look at the BB cartridge itself. It's probably easiest to replace it, though I've read that some Truvativ BBs can be rebuilt if you have the right tools. (I think I read that on Truvativ's web site, so you might want to take a look there...)