Weekend Warrior

Time ATAC Z - questions

I have had my Time ATAC Z pedals for about a year now and I love them. However, I have had my share of crashes and OTB's and have never been able to unclip in such a situation. I'm used to separate from my equipment in skiing, so why don't my pedals do that.

I have no adjustments on there that I am aware of. On the hint of my LBS guy i swapped the cleats to get more float and escape easier, however it still doesn't separate unless I twist my heal. Are there any special cleats I can buy or is this just the nature of my pedals.

So what I have been doing lately is unclip before I hit an obstacle or a jump or a steep up/downhill, but doing that defeats the purpose of such pedals. I still have scars from when I was not able to unclip in time.

Are other pedals like eggbeaters the same?

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I have a pair of these pedals on two of my mountain bikes and I don't have the same problem. I have no problem releasing from them. They have a lot more float than the typical SPD Pedal and it is just something to get used to.

ups and downs
    Yes both Time ATAC and 'beaters require a substantial heel rotation to unclip, that's how they get the amount of float they have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Use a dremel to file away the cleats to reduce the amount of float and reduce the amount of heel twisting needed to release from the pedal. Here is a picture (http://www.speedgoat.com/productB.as...t=39&brand=255) just file away the rear end to reduce float.

mtbr member
    daleksic
    you are not alone, I have crahed still attached to my bike a few times when using the Z pedals. Unless you plan to unclip they just don't let go. the problem is you don't plan to crash.

Shimano SPD's do let go in a crash and sometimes you can come unclipped by accident and if you pull hard enough without twisting your foot they will release if you set the tension to easy but they have a very small platform.

I have used time ATAC XS pedals for the last two years, they have ajustable spring tension and a bigger platform than shimano but smaller than the Z's I'm very pleased with them and feel I have the best of both worlds. I am no longer welded to my bike just clipped in.

Hope that is of some use.

mtbr member
    Just crashed yesterday. I was not attached to my Zs when it was over.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm going to try to file my cleats.

Just to clarify, I like the amount of Float I get from the Time pedals, I just wish that it would release when I crash. The first time I crashed the bike went with me and I twisted my legs so bad that it hurt for months. My friend actually had to rotate my foot out to release me from the bike (that was at the standard 7 degree float setting).

YetiBetty, if I can't fix the issue I'll try the ATAC XS pedals. I just wish they weren't so expensive.....

I rather accidentally unclip than being clipped in when I crash.

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic

I have no adjustments on there that I am aware of. On the hint of my LBS guy i swapped the cleats to get more float and escape easier, however it still doesn't separate unless I twist my heal. Are there any special cleats I can buy or is this just the nature of my pedals.
    This is not what to do Increasing float makes it HARDER to release since you have to move your heal more to unclip. Go back to the standard set-up if you want to clip out faster. Also make sure your shoes' sole is not affecting the unclip, some dremel action on the sole might be needed.

Weekend Warrior
    I already got the shoe (border of the spd space) trimmed. I understand that it takes now 15 degress vs 7 to release. I like the extra float i get, this gives me space to move and now it is actually easier to balance on the bike. What I'm complaining about, and maybe I'm asking for too much, that when I loose control over the bike the pedals don't let me unclip whatsoever unless I rotate. I know one of my friends who has eggbeaters unclips from his pedals during a fall. It has nothing to do with rotating the heal, but I guess too much force makes him escape... What i'm trying to say is I would like something like my skies, where in that case rather than pushing on the back of the binding, it will release due to "unnatural" force.

I will first try the shaving thing and see if that helps. Apparently I'm one of few who has this problem as there are many, many satisfied TIME customers. Hey, i'm happy too, but I usually end up unclipping in hairy situations whereas being clipped in probably would be better. I'm just afraid of the fall with the bike between my legs, that leaves me exposed.

mtbr member
    I have Alium pedals and I love them. My cleats have 500+ miles on them and they are much easier to unclip than when they were new. If I really pull up hard on my foot without twisting I can unclip. I definitely unclip during crashes.

Try filing the cleats but go slow and don't take too much material off. This should help.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    I already got the shoe (border of the spd space) trimmed. I understand that it takes now 15 degress vs 7 to release. I like the extra float i get, this gives me space to move and now it is actually easier to balance on the bike. What I'm complaining about, and maybe I'm asking for too much, that when I loose control over the bike the pedals don't let me unclip whatsoever unless I rotate. I know one of my friends who has eggbeaters unclips from his pedals during a fall. It has nothing to do with rotating the heal, but I guess too much force makes him escape... What i'm trying to say is I would like something like my skies, where in that case rather than pushing on the back of the binding, it will release due to "unnatural" force.

I will first try the shaving thing and see if that helps. Apparently I'm one of few who has this problem as there are many, many satisfied TIME customers. Hey, i'm happy too, but I usually end up unclipping in hairy situations whereas being clipped in probably would be better. I'm just afraid of the fall with the bike between my legs, that leaves me exposed.
    brownteeth got it right
    more float = more rotation to release, your friend either is rotating without realizing or his cleats/ pedals are worn out. after youve been riding clipless for awhile unclipping just comes naturally.
    what may be happening is that with the platform youre pressing down while trying to unclip, the platform will hold your sole from moving so you wont unclip
    try clipping your shoe in the pedal without your foot in it, see whats happening when you unclip.
    Ive found both Times and Cbs release too easily and they both release when you strike the bottom so SPD is the best IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    Ive found both Times and Cbs release too easily and they both release when you strike the bottom so SPD is the best IMO

You've had the times unclip on bottom strikes? I've bashed the hell out of rocks before without a problem. I've heard of this happening with CB's but not times.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    You've had the times unclip on bottom strikes? I've bashed the hell out of rocks before without a problem. I've heard of this happening with CB's but not times.
    all the time, they have basicly the same mechanism

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    all the time, they have basicly the same mechanism
    I don't think they do. The time has a separate spring for each side of the binding, ie - if a rock hits the bottom, the binding on the top side is unaffected.

I think the CB pedals shared the binding mechanism on each side, hence the unclipping with rock strikes.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just curious because I know I've never had a prob with my aliums unclipping (and I don't know anyone that has) and I ride on rocky, rooted trails.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I don't think they do. The time has a separate spring for each side of the binding, ie - if a rock hits the bottom, the binding on the top side is unaffected.

I think the CB pedals shared the binding mechanism on each side, hence the unclipping with rock strikes.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just curious because I know I've never had a prob with my aliums unclipping (and I don't know anyone that has) and I ride on rocky, rooted trails.
    well you aroused my curiosity and guess what? the older Times are like you say, seperate
    but the new version is not, I allways liked the times untill recently and didnt realise that they had changed, my last pair didnt last a year and unclipped constantly. heres a pic of the latest design, notice that the top and bottom bars are 1 piece, so that explains the unclipping
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    well that sucks

Hopefully not all the models are affected. I'm guessing they did that for weight? Anyway, now I understand what you're saying

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    well that sucks

Hopefully not all the models are affected. I'm guessing they did that for weight? Anyway, now I understand what you're saying
    well , bad move on their part, Ive allready switched to shimano and couldnt be happier and I imagine alot of others will switch too, especially since alot of bike now have lower BB height, so more pedal strikes.
    these didnt even last a year, the rails bent, the bearings are loose and they release at random, not inspiring when traveling down a baby head infested trail at speed.
    Ill have to check out the newer versions of all of them and see.

good news
    I just checked their website and only the xs & xl have the new design
    too bad Ive allready switched

mtbr member
    I don't blame you. I would have switched too.

I'm using the lower end Aliums. They are not light, but they are bombproof. I'll have to take picture later of how bashed up they are. They still work flawlessly.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Yes, ATACs can unclip if you strike a rock with the bottom of the pedal. In my experience with the originals, the Zs and the Aliums. This is reasonably well reported in the MTBR reviews, and I've had it happen (maybe 4 times in the last 12 months- I guess it depends on terrain and timing).