mtbr member

Time ATAC XS vs. Crank Bros.

Have you tried both the Time XS and Crank Bros. Eggbeater or Candy pedals?
    Which do you prefer, and why?

I ran the old ATACs for many years. They worked great but I didn't like the non-adjustable side-to-side float. My feet would migrate outwards on the pedals as I rode. But as far as entry and exit in the worse conditions, they were great.

I've ridden Eggbeaters for 2-3 years on my cyclocross/commuter bike with no problems. Lighter than Times, easy entry and exit. Small pedal so a bit harder to locate when trying to remount in a cross race. But overall no complaints. Low price a plus.

I put together a full-suspension MTB last week and have been riding Candy pedals. They work OK but I find entry and exit to be less definate and reliable compared to my old Time ATACs. But the thing that bugs me the most is that if you hit the bottom of the pedal on a rock your cleat pops out of the top. I don't remember this happening with the old Times. And I never noticed it with the Eggbeaters but that's not surprising because you rarely smack the bottom of your pedal on anything in a cross race. On the plus side the Candies are rediculously cheap. I paid like $60 or $70 at Performance for cro-mo versions that say "IMBA" on them so hopefully they got a cut, too.

Now I am converting my old hardtail into a singlespeed, and have to make a decision on pedals. I am leaning towards the new Times. But switching will cause some headaches because like I said my cross/commuter bike has Eggbeaters so I will have to either switch those pedals, too, or have 2 pairs of shoes...

Anyways, if you have tried both systems for mountain biking especially in muddy conditions please post your impressions. Thanks.

Let's have a beer or 10.
    I've used both Time and Egg quite a lot. I'm currently on eggs but I don't know if that will last. I got that "hit-something-and-pedal-unclip" thing a couple of time and it is kind of a pain. I ride a Blur and it has this habit since the BB is relatively low. I also find that the entry in the eggs is less positive than the time. It is kind of a "hey, look at this, I'm clipped now. What a surprise." I lack the solid feel that the time give you when you engage. In mud, my experience tells me that they are equivalent, which is basically trouble free. But the eggs are so freaking light... I've yet to make my mind I must admit.

If you already have a egg-equiped bike, go for the eggs. Ultimately, there quite equivalent anyway.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by dyg2001
    Have you tried both the Time XS and Crank Bros. Eggbeater or Candy pedals?
    Which do you prefer, and why?

I ran the old ATACs for many years. They worked great but I didn't like the non-adjustable side-to-side float. My feet would migrate outwards on the pedals as I rode. But as far as entry and exit in the worse conditions, they were great.

I've ridden Eggbeaters for 2-3 years on my cyclocross/commuter bike with no problems. Lighter than Times, easy entry and exit. Small pedal so a bit harder to locate when trying to remount in a cross race. But overall no complaints. Low price a plus.

I put together a full-suspension MTB last week and have been riding Candy pedals. They work OK but I find entry and exit to be less definate and reliable compared to my old Time ATACs. But the thing that bugs me the most is that if you hit the bottom of the pedal on a rock your cleat pops out of the top. I don't remember this happening with the old Times. And I never noticed it with the Eggbeaters but that's not surprising because you rarely smack the bottom of your pedal on anything in a cross race. On the plus side the Candies are rediculously cheap. I paid like $60 or $70 at Performance for cro-mo versions that say "IMBA" on them so hopefully they got a cut, too.

Now I am converting my old hardtail into a singlespeed, and have to make a decision on pedals. I am leaning towards the new Times. But switching will cause some headaches because like I said my cross/commuter bike has Eggbeaters so I will have to either switch those pedals, too, or have 2 pairs of shoes...

Anyways, if you have tried both systems for mountain biking especially in muddy conditions please post your impressions. Thanks.
    ive ridden the ATAC almost exclusively since i started riding and i have yet to come up with a good reason to switch.
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I've ridden both extensively and prefer the Times hands down. The only advantage the Candy's provided was the lower weight, but I couldn't put up with the "hit the bottom of the pedal on a rock your cleat pops out of the top" issue.

Bodhisattva
    agree with Crash & others.
    Have owned both. Got rid of the Candy's. Didn't like the soft engagement & couldn't handle the unexpected ejection when the pedal strikes rocks.

I like the ATAC XS much more.
    Life....the original terminal illness

11 is one louder than 10

had time, went to crank bros, back to time

cranks bros - didn't like unexpected rock ejections, and I personally got hot spots on both the sl's, and candy. Back to the time XS, nothing beats the times IMO.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

b-boy
    i rode time atac carbons for 4 years. i then picked up a pair of eggbeaters 2 years ago. the entry on the eggbeaters was soft and the release was not the most consistent. one ride, my right pedal started to make a creaking noise...the next ride, the "egg" fell off the spindle, which happened to 3 other riders i know. went back to time's because they are the absolute best. they may be a little heavier and more expensive, but the performance attributes make the atacs a better overall deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

For a little more perspective....

I've used shimano and time clipless. I like the time hands down for durability and entry/exit in mud. Bullet proof cartridge bearing system that I've never touched, unlike shimano. Benefit of the shimano's (old school 737's before I got my times), was the hex key adjustable release tension. At first with the Time's, I'd crash and still be locked in the pedals, until I figured out how to custom tailor the release by grinding down the cleats with a bench grinder until I got it perfect. No complaints since then, other than the weight of the old atac carbons, 406 gm/pr, clydesdales!

Now I'm considering the Expedo Ti/Ti pedals, ~200gm/pr. Normally not a weight weenie, but reducing weight in the revolving mass areas (crank,rings,pedals,shoes,wheels) does increase speed and reduce fatigue.The Expedo's have a hex key adjustable tension system and more of a platform than the standard eggs. They have an inboard cartridge bearing and outboard bushing -so should be fairly durable, but probably not up to the bullet proof standards of the time pedals. Anyway, something to consider, there's been a few positive threads about the Expedo's in the save some weight forum.

born again

Good job! Candy SL

Been riding my Candy's for about a year now, love 'em to death. Much better in all aspects then my old Shimano's. I've ejected all of two or three times in 1500+ miles of serious riding when I've hit rocks, I think the Candy platform protects the bails from releasing compared to standard Eggs. I especially like the ability to grease the bearings. My buddies ATAC's are about the same age and the sealed bearings are nearly toast. Plus they weigh a lot more. We ride a lot in the mud and wet here in the Northwest. Excellent pedal!
    Last edited by gearz; 09-13-2004 at 04:24 PM.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

No, that's not phonetic
    Just like most folks. Time then EB then Time. The old floating Q-factor drove me to try EBs and getting spit out of the EBs with every bottom contact drove me back to Time (XS) once they eliminated the f-Q-f. Times are the stuff (now).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
    At first with the Time's, I'd crash and still be locked in the pedals, until I figured out how to custom tailor the release by grinding down the cleats with a bench grinder until I got it perfect. No complaints since then, other than the weight of the old atac carbons, 406 gm/pr, clydesdales!
    Sweetdaddy,

If it's possible I'd love to see some pics of where you take material off of the cleats. A couple of weeks ago I set my wife up on her first pair of clipless pedals, Time XS's. She spent a lot of time on the local jogging paths attempting to get over the learning curve before hitting the dirt, but in the end the retention was just too strong and we took them off in lieu of some Shimanon's with the adjustable tension. Ultimately I'd like to get her back on Times and the cleat modifications just might be the ticket.

Thanks,
    Crash

Bodhisattva
    Crash,

2 suggestions for ya':

1- Speedgoat grinds the cleats & sells them directly. I've tried them & personally I don't like them because release is too quicky for my tastes, but it just might be the ticket for your Mrs.

2- The new Carbon XS have adjustable release tension. I only have the standard XS & haven't tried the Carbons so I can't comment on how well they work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I've tried them & personally I don't like them because release is too quickly for my tastes, but it just might be the ticket for your Mrs.
    Thanks Squeak! I'll look into both of those options. Did you find Speed Goat's cleats significantly reduced the amount of force that was required to unclip? Now to find someone who's been on the carbons...

Bodhisattva
    I did find them easier to unclip which I didn't like but it might work great for your pal.
    They also wear out a bit quicker since they're pre-ground.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check for interference at the cleat pocket as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Thanks Squeak! I'll look into both of those options. Did you find Speed Goat's cleats significantly reduced the amount of force that was required to unclip? Now to find someone who's been on the carbons...
    Check for interference at the side of the cleat pocket as well. Not all SPD shoes are 100% compatible with the ATACs (out of the box that is). They will all clip in just fine, but some shoes make it VERY hard to clip out (depending on the width of the cleat pocket). The Speedgoat cleat would solve this problem, but it's unecessary in this case, and reduces the angle of release (which I wouldn't like at all, because I like to move my feet around on the pedals when using body english to clean technical sections).

The problem is with the wide bars on the ATAC pedals (i.e. wider than on the SPD pedal). The bars on the pedal are so wide that they can come in contact with the side of the cleat pocket before the pedal releases. With enough force, the plastic/rubber sole of the shoe will deform enough to eventually release, but it can make release very difficult. In general, the hiking type MTB shoes with rubber soles don't seem to require any modification. However, the more racing oriented shoes with hard plastic soles and narrower cleat pockets usually do require some modification to release smoothly. I suspect this one of the primary reasons so many people have release problems with ATAC pedals.

To check, clip the shoe in by hand, flip it over so you can see the bottom of the shoe, slowly release the shoe by hand and watch the rear bar of the pedal. If it comes in contact with the side of the cleat pocket before the pedal releases, then you need to take a dremel tool (or a knife or a file or something) and relieve the side of the cleat pocket enough for the bar to clear. I actually took it a step further, and used the dremel to grind away the cleats on the shoe in front of the cleat to form a v-shape that guides the shoe right on the pedal. This makes clipping in easier as wall (almost can't miss).

I learned this the hard way. I rode the ATACs for a couple of years without any problems (with hiking type MTB shoes). Then, I bought a new pair of racing shoes. I tried clipping in and out a couple of times (it felt fine, I didn't even notice that it was hard to release). However, it wasn't far into the first ride when I needed to clip out, couldn't, fell over, and ripped my seat .
    Last edited by Tullebukk; 09-14-2004 at 04:28 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    [size=2]I really like the CB's but I'd like to reduce my unintended ejections weather it be due to body english or pedal strikes.

I've been on the Crank Bros for a couple of years and have both the std EB's and the Mallet-C's. I concur w/t others that bottom-out ejection is an issue. I get it from time to time. I also think they eject a little too easily in the standard config, but the long release config is a bit too far out for me. I'd prefer a tension adjustment rather than a longer release point. Strangely enough I've broken (2) Mallet left pedals, on rock strikes, which snapped off one of the 4 retention bars. That left the pedal essentially one sided. But the EB's with less protection, never got trashed. To CB's credit, they are absolutely outstanding with customer service. They replaced each broken pedal very quickly, no fuss at all.
    I actually found it easier to find the clips on the EBs than the Mallets. Yeah the M's have a nice big platform but I seem to end up hunting around that much more. I also think the cleats wear much too fast.(for me) I'm lucky if I get a full season out of a set. I'm quite curious about the Times. If they shed mud like the CB's, can take a serious beating, have adjustable tension, AND don't have side-to-side float (Q-factor?) then maybe I'll give them a go.

[/size]
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    [size=2]I'm quite curious about the Times. If they shed mud like the CB's, can take a serious beating, have adjustable tension, AND don't have side-to-side float (Q-factor?) then maybe I'll give them a go.
    [/size]
    - the Times shed mud as well as the CB
    - no more lateral float
    - the Carbon XS has adjustable tension, although everyone I know keeps it on the factory setting
    - they can take a beating

Lay off the Levers
    - they can take a beating
    Thanks!
    But, can they take a serious beating? We're talking a no-skilz 'Zilla kind of beating. I'm still working on timing my strokes in the tall rocks. I've got much better since switching to CK hubs though . Just thinking Carbon and rocks don't mix. Maybe the Control-Z?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bodhisattva
    They're tough enough. Even for an overgrown lizard with poor steering skills.

The "carbon" in the pedal is a bit misleading. There is actually very little carbon in the pedal and it's not analagous to a carbon handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc.

I lived in norther NJ from '98-'02 and smashed my pedals on lots of rocks at Ringwood numerous times. They held up without any problems except bent retainer bars which is normal wear & tear and is replaceable. I imagine Ringwood is pretty similar to what you ride up in Westchester.

Lay off the Levers
    ... Actually Ringwood is what claimed the pedal in the picture. ~2hrs in to a 7hr epic. (Up from the school, under 287, up Skyline, Cannonball, through Ringwood, and back. NJ must have invented the rock garden. I Also had to ride without my 3 largest cogs, when I broke the cassete spider just a few minuets before the pedal. I have no friggin idea how it happened....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 09-14-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Bodhisattva
    I miss Ringwood, in a sadistic sort of way. I used to ride Cannonball, Skyline, etc. frequently & my boyz back in the hood still go regularly. I used to call Ringwood the Destroyer cause something, or someone, was always breaking.

The trails here in CO are no less technical or rocky, but different. I go through tires more quickly here but everything else seems to hold up better.

I broke the 3rd cog on my cassette this sumemr & it took me 3 rides to figure out why my shifting sucked. Doh!!!!!

Lay off the Levers
    I miss Ringwood, in a sadistic sort of way. I used to ride Cannonball, Skyline, etc. frequently & my boyz back in the hood still go regularly. I used to call Ringwood the Destroyer cause something, or someone, was always breaking.

The trails here in CO are no less technical or rocky, but different. I go through tires more quickly here but everything else seems to hold up better.
    [size=2]Sadistic is a good adjective. There were plenty of broken parts, and bloody appendages ....good times, good times. Cannonball seems to have a particular flair for obscuring that which can eject you. (8" rocks in 10" grass) Ringwood is a lot like some parts of Westchester, but overall I think RW's a bit rockier. CO, must have some beautiful riding. I'll bet the only thing you're missing is oxygen.

[/size]

Bodhisattva
    I'll bet the only thing you're missing is oxygen.

[/size]
    Yeah, that & endurance. I'm gonna start EPO soon.

mtbr member
    I'm quite curious about the Times. If they shed mud like the CB's, can take a serious beating, have adjustable tension, AND don't have side-to-side float (Q-factor?) then maybe I'll give them a go.
    'Zilla, If you're worried about the Times taking "a serious beating" take a look at the Alumiums (sp?). They're basically the same pedal as the XS but with an aluminum alloy body instead of the plastic/composite. Although my XS's have held up well to the numerous and frequent pedal smacks I've inflicted. As far as adjustable tension I'd be surprised if you need it. Especially with the large size 15 lever you have attached to the end of your leg .

Maybe the Control-Z
    I tried the Z's on a couple of rides wondering if the clipless/platform pedal would be of any benefit on the more technical trails. IMO they're more of a nuisance, and I never really found a condition or circumstance where I preferred them, but if you prefer your Mallets to Candy's they may be the ticket.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    ...I tried the Z's on a couple of rides wondering if the clipless/platform pedal would be of any benefit on the more technical trails. IMO they're more of a nuisance, and I never really found a condition or circumstance where I preferred them, but if you prefer your Mallets to Candy's they may be the ticket.
    Actually I was just saying that since switching back to the plain old Eggbeaters I've discovered finding the engagement target easier than with the Mallets. Even though I do a lot of technical riding, the Sidi's are stiff enough to provide their own platform, even unclipped I don't seem to slip off the EB's any more than the Mallets.

Okay Time's on my UGI list too... {looks left}... {looks right}...uh, they make a set in gold right?