banned

Time ATAC XS-long term durability?

I'm thinking of upgrading to these pedals, but I was concerned about the long-term durability of their composite bodies, especially since we have lots of rocks and roots out here that the pedals will smack into.

banned
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm thinking of upgrading to these pedals, but I was concerned about the long-term durability of their composite bodies, especially since we have lots of rocks and roots out here that the pedals will smack into.
    I started using Time ATAC pedals 12 years ago. Still using the first pedal without problems. I now have ATAC on my three bike including my road bike. They are very durable.

banned
    Rode the ones with no cages for maybe a year. Got Time Z's, and rode them for a while. Then, I got my 858's on my old Fuji, got used to the tightness of them, and hated the Times. Sold them. Never looked back. I want some bling bling Shimano 959 SPD pedals though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I've has the XS for about a year and haven't had any problems with the durablity of the composite body, except they kinda scuff easily from all the clipping in and out. I would suspect that if you hit them hard enough to crack the body, you would probably have larger problems to worry about with regard to the rest of your bike and the status of your general health

No, that's not phonetic
    I have a few sets of the XS pedals and have ridden them pretty much exclusively for the past 2 years. I cracked one body in half a while back. It seems to be a very unusual occurrance though one or two other people have reported it. I was very leery of the plastic body too, but they held up well including a lot of trips to moab and a bunch of rock contact. I know people in Utah who ride them and they hold up. That said, on my 6-Pack for Utah trips I now use the Aliums just to be safe.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Never enough time to ride
    I've had a couple sets for about 3 years now, both the old style and the newer. I've never had any problems with them and they've been beat pretty well. I'd say get em.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a set of the original ATAC Carbons that I've beat to death since ~late 2000. Still work perfect.

mtbr member
    i had an ooooold pair of atacs (circa '94) that developed a crack in the plastic housing right at the point where it met the spindle. still worked (and works!) perfectly all these years later, crack and all...