mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Time ATAC XS Carbon

Hi,

I just got a new pair of Time ATAC XS pedals from ebay and have a couple of questions. This is my first time using clipless pedals so not sure what I'm noticing is normal or not.

With the pedals installed, when I spin each pedal using my hand, is it normal that the pedal only rotate less than 1 turn? When I was at REI last week checking out some CB pedals, those can make several complete turns with each spin by hand. Just want to make sure this is normal with Time pedals or maybe something wrong w/ the bearings?

The other thing I noticed is when I unclip with the left pedal, it'll make a loud spring pop sound. The pedal on the right doesn't make the same noise. Unclipping the right side pedal is very smooth unlike the left. I have the adjustable release system at factory setting of 1.

Last question is are the cleats suppose to touch the ground when you walk? I have specialized expert mtb shoes. I'm guessing this would depend on the shoe?

Thanks,
    ckc
    Last edited by ckc527; 10-08-2012 at 03:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ckc527 View Post
    Hi,

I just got a new pair of Time ATAC XS pedals from ebay and have a couple of questions. This is my first time using clipless pedals so not sure what I'm noticing is normal or not.

With the pedals installed, when I spin each pedal using my hand, is it normal that the pedal only rotate less than 1 turn? When I was at REI last week checking out some CB pedals, those can make several complete turns with each spin by hand. Just want to make sure this is normal with Time pedals or maybe something wrong w/ the bearings?

The other thing I noticed is when I unclip with the left pedal, it'll make a loud spring pop sound. The pedal on the right doesn't make the same noise. Unclipping the right side pedal is very smooth unlike the left. I have the adjustable release system at factory setting of 1.

Last question is are the cleats suppose to touch the ground when you walk? I have specialized expert mtb shoes. I'm guessing this would depend on the shoe?

Thanks,
    ckc
    To answer your questions... Yes, the spinning of the pedals is normal. The bearings may loosen up a bit as they wear in and as long as they're not "crunchy" and they spin, you're good to go.

As for a different sound, this could be a slight difference in cleat setup and as long as it's secure, I wouldnt worry about it. It could be as simple as the rubber on your shoe is contacting the pedal to create a bit of extra tension, which would affect the sound. They sound different when they release, but how do they feel.

Cleats hitting the ground has everything to do with your shoe and nothing to do with the pedals or cleats. most of my cleats hit the ground when I walk I think. Nothign to worry about here... just don't walk on a nice hardwood floor.

Teach yourself to use these things in the grass. Falling over because you forget that you're attached to your bike is inevitable. it hurts less to practice in a field. :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi BShow,

Regarding the release, it feel as the right side unclips quietly (when i want it to of course) but when i unclip the left side, it feels like there's more tension so it makes that sound like a spring just pop out - a more violent release. I'll practice some more in the garage and see if it's due to my ankle outward rotation that's causing the extra tension on the release mechanism.

Thanks,
    ckc

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi BShow, et al.

With just the shoe on the pedal, I think I found the culprit. The inner part of the shoe sole tread is rubbing against the rear pedal engagement bar (see attached photo). With this contact point I believe it's forcing the shoe to lift up slightly and out when I try to unclip. This is most likely the cause of the extra tension on my release and the odd spring pop sound.

So my question is, will a shoe shield (shim) from CB alleviate some of the tension? I think I need it regardless because as you can see from the picture, the pedal engagement bar is already eating at the carbon sole of my new shoes. I'm thinking I would probably also need to use the dremel tool and shave off a little bit of the sole tread where it's making contact w/ the bar?

Anyone else have this problem with their Time ATAC XS and Specialized shoes? Please share how you remedy the issue.

Thanks,
    ckc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the same pedal show comb. I always shim my cleats since I have knee issues using these.

Newegg.com - Bike Fit Systems Cleat Wedges for SPD Pedals

As far as the left pedal engagement it looks like you have the cleats all the way over to the inside of the shoe. Is you right that far over? You can play with the angle of the cleats a bit depending on how you tighten them down. I get a used to get loud pop when disengaging either side, but that is probably due to how I was releasing, now they are very quiet unless I do a cyclocross style dismount then the left is really loud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    I have the same pedal show comb. I always shim my cleats since I have knee issues using these.

Newegg.com - Bike Fit Systems Cleat Wedges for SPD Pedals

As far as the left pedal engagement it looks like you have the cleats all the way over to the inside of the shoe. Is you right that far over? You can play with the angle of the cleats a bit depending on how you tighten them down. I get a used to get loud pop when disengaging either side, but that is probably due to how I was releasing, now they are very quiet unless I do a cyclocross style dismount then the left is really loud.
    Hi grendalfly,

I mounted the cleats right in the middle. What you see in the picture is when I rotate the heel of the shoe outward attempting to unclip. This shows where the sole tread is touching the engagement bar.

I've tried mounting the cleats in slightly different angles but it's still not enough to clear the contact point.

Can you help me understand how the shims could help knee issues?

Thanks,
    ckc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is their marketing stuff, but In addition to a lot of interior cartilage damage, my one leg is shorter than the other. I had a bunch of knee pain on long rides ( 4+ hours) and I tried in shoe wedges and they weren't very comfortable, I know have these on all my shoes and never had any knee issues. For the shorter leg I alternate them until they are build up about 4mm. It isn't a lot but really helps.

As far as the release. I know I rotated out and up. Do you have the cleats set for the lower % release point?

Why Use Cleat Wedges?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    yup, got the cleats set for the lower angle.

ckc

addicted to chunk
    Just shave the part of the shoe that rubs, I had to do that as well with mine, same pedals as yours.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I also had to shave my Shimano shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like most of my issues have been resolved with the CB shoe shield and dremel out a little bit of the shoe sole.

The shoe shield alone was not enough to clear the pedal engagement bar but at least it'll save my carbon sole. The one drawback is now the cleats are sticking out more so it'll touch the ground when I walk around. With the cleats raised a bit, i think clipping in seems easier though. Clipping out is much smoother now after shaving off part of the sole.

The left pedal still makes that spring pop sound when I clip out but not as bad now. Maybe it'll go away once I get more practice unclipping with my left foot.

Thanks,
    ckc