Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time ATAC Squeak

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Coldass 
#1 ·
Anyone having trouble with time ATAC pedals squeaking on their shoes?

I have both ATAC XS Carbons & ATAC Alums and Shimano M086 shoes. Both sets of pedals squeak with the shoes.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Anyone having trouble with time ATAC pedals squeaking on their shoes?

I have both ATAC XS Carbons & ATAC Alums and Shimano M086 shoes. Both sets of pedals squeak with the shoes.

Any ideas?
Make sure your cleat bolts are tight and the cleats aren't coming loose. After that, check the bottom of your shoes - do they have grooves worn into them from the wire bales? If so, check the pedal body directly under the cleat for scrapes/wear marks between the wire bales on both sides of the pedals. Is it getting scraped up? That's what is causing it. Once the grooves wear deep enough into your shoe sole, the bottom of the cleat hits the pedal body and rubs it which creates a squeaking noise.

#3 ·
I took a few minutes last night and took the cleats off, cleaned them thoroughly, put a tiny bit of grease on the screws and put them back on. I clipped them onto the pedals and moved them around a bit and I didn't hear any squeaks. I'll be commuting home tonight with the ATAC alums. I should know if the cleaning worked by the time I get home.

If the cleaning doesn't work I'll take a look at the pedal body. The shoes are starting to get grooves.

#4 ·
I find this happens when the conditions are dry. all my buddies with Times have noticed the same thing. it's something we've all come to live with.... fortunately, things don't usually stay dry here very long...

#5 ·
ALL of my Time's have squeaked. New shoes, new cleats, new pedals or old shoes, old cleats, old pedals - they all squeak.

The only Time's that don't squeak are the ROCs. Having tried the ROCs for one year, I'm back to the basic Time Carbons. Yes, I get squeak, but the ROCs were just too different (too much side to side play for my liking).

Hopefully somebody can chime in with a fix. I know I've been looking for a fix for years. Lube on the pedal's bars helps, but only for one ride, so not a long term fix.

#10 ·
I recently switched over to ATACs after nearly a decade on Eggbeaters. When it was cold and damp outside, my rubber shoe lugs would squeak on the Eggbeater wings. I hate squeaks and creaks! The last few evening rides it's been chilly in the 40's and the ATACs have started to squeak. I thought it may be a temperature issue too. I'll try the drop of lube on the rubber bushing. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.