mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Time ATAC Squeak

Anyone having trouble with time ATAC pedals squeaking on their shoes?

I have both ATAC XS Carbons & ATAC Alums and Shimano M086 shoes. Both sets of pedals squeak with the shoes.

Any ideas?
    - J. Ryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tread29 View Post
    Anyone having trouble with time ATAC pedals squeaking on their shoes?

I have both ATAC XS Carbons & ATAC Alums and Shimano M086 shoes. Both sets of pedals squeak with the shoes.

Any ideas?
    Make sure your cleat bolts are tight and the cleats aren't coming loose. After that, check the bottom of your shoes - do they have grooves worn into them from the wire bales? If so, check the pedal body directly under the cleat for scrapes/wear marks between the wire bales on both sides of the pedals. Is it getting scraped up? That's what is causing it. Once the grooves wear deep enough into your shoe sole, the bottom of the cleat hits the pedal body and rubs it which creates a squeaking noise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Make sure your cleat bolts are tight and the cleats aren't coming loose. After that, check the bottom of your shoes - do they have grooves worn into them from the wire bales? If so, check the pedal body directly under the cleat for scrapes/wear marks between the wire bales on both sides of the pedals. Is it getting scraped up? That's what is causing it. Once the grooves wear deep enough into your shoe sole, the bottom of the cleat hits the pedal body and rubs it which creates a squeaking noise.
    I took a few minutes last night and took the cleats off, cleaned them thoroughly, put a tiny bit of grease on the screws and put them back on. I clipped them onto the pedals and moved them around a bit and I didn't hear any squeaks. I'll be commuting home tonight with the ATAC alums. I should know if the cleaning worked by the time I get home.

If the cleaning doesn't work I'll take a look at the pedal body. The shoes are starting to get grooves.
    - J. Ryan

mountain biker
    I find this happens when the conditions are dry. all my buddies with Times have noticed the same thing. it's something we've all come to live with.... fortunately, things don't usually stay dry here very long...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    ALL of my Time's have squeaked. New shoes, new cleats, new pedals or old shoes, old cleats, old pedals - they all squeak.

The only Time's that don't squeak are the ROCs. Having tried the ROCs for one year, I'm back to the basic Time Carbons. Yes, I get squeak, but the ROCs were just too different (too much side to side play for my liking).

Hopefully somebody can chime in with a fix. I know I've been looking for a fix for years. Lube on the pedal's bars helps, but only for one ride, so not a long term fix.

Afric Pepperbird
    Put a drop of chain lube inside the rubber washer. That always works for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Put a drop of chain lube inside the rubber washer. That always works for me.
    Rubber washer on the spindle?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Rubber washer on the spindle?
    This here

It's not exclusive to carbon only, I might add.

mtbr member
    ^ that's what I was figuring that you were refering to. I'll give that a shot today.

mtbr member
    I recently switched over to ATACs after nearly a decade on Eggbeaters. When it was cold and damp outside, my rubber shoe lugs would squeak on the Eggbeater wings. I hate squeaks and creaks! The last few evening rides it's been chilly in the 40's and the ATACs have started to squeak. I thought it may be a temperature issue too. I'll try the drop of lube on the rubber bushing. Thanks!
    'Bones

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBones View Post
    I recently switched over to ATACs after nearly a decade on Eggbeaters. When it was cold and damp outside, my rubber shoe lugs would squeak on the Eggbeater wings. I hate squeaks and creaks! The last few evening rides it's been chilly in the 40's and the ATACs have started to squeak. I thought it may be a temperature issue too. I'll try the drop of lube on the rubber bushing. Thanks!
    You put up with crank brothers pedals for that long, impressive

The little rubber seal does seam to be the most common squeak for me in the last ~13 years of time usage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This here

Unfortunately that isn't' the source of the squeaking on my carbons. I took them off the bike, clipped them onto the shoe, and was able reproduced the squeaking by shifting the pedal around on the shoe.

I discovered some vertical play between them. Specifically the metal bar of the pedal can slide vertically between the sole of the shoe and the protrusion of the cleat.

Maybe the metal bars on my pedals are just worn too much and need to be replaced?
    - J. Ryan

mtbr member
    This here

Exact place I get squeaks on my loved Time's (the older skinny spindle versions didn't do this). I just squirt some silicon spray lube and wipe off excess. Never had shoe noise - and I have had Time's since 91'...