Knob scrubber

Time Atac pedals, any good?

I've been using crank bros pedals for a few years now, and while I like them I'm sick of their poor durability. I've chewed out 2 sets, and my latest set need rebuilding for the second time. Shimano is not an option for me, they lock me in too much and I end up with sore knees. I'm looking at Time Atacs, but don't know anyone who uses them. Can anyone recommend them? What are they like for durability/longevity?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Real men do it in the dirt

mtbr member
    They will be perfect for you. I have them and hate them for all the reasons you will love them. They're as easy to get into as Eggs, the release angle is the same and they have a bit of float to them. The only negative compared to Eggs is added weight but you'll get longevity. They might last 5-10 years with no maintenance. Buy them.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Do a quick search on Time ATAC on this site. Lots of posters are extremely positive on them (myself included).

+1 to what Limba said.

El Pollo Diablo
    I love mine. (Second set, would still be on the first set if I hadn't lost them in a move)
    Bit heavy but they totally ignore mud, nice float... see first response above.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like mine. I have Time ATAC Aliums and ROC ATACs. I prefer the Aliums. Not sure about the XS - I haven't tried those yet.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Knob scrubber
    Thanks for the responses, think I'll bite the bullet and order a set for my new rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Make sure you get the ATAC Roc, they have metal plates where the shoe contacts the pedal body which makes them even more durable. Do not get the ATAC XS pedal, just don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been riding TIME ATACs for over 10 years. Had Shimano spd's, Welgo, and even tried the eggbeaters (I am always an early adopter).. I also was dissatisfied with the short life expectency of the eggbeaters. Granted, I have killed a TIME ATAC pedal once also (seriously clobbered into a rock and split the resin platform).

I rode the Aliums, Resin body, and the World Cups. All the same mechanisim. Aliums turn ugly quick from hits, but still work. Resins can be broken if hit hard enough.

I currently ride the ATC XS Carbons, because they are 3 position release tension adjustable, they are cheap($120 -sh), and they are black. I bought 3 pairs last year, still on the first pair of the three. Time cleats also last a long time.

mtbr member
    If anyone from Southern Ontario wants Time Atac World Cup pedals/cleats cheap pm me. I won't ship them but if you're close you can pick them up.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I actually didn't like the metal plates on the ROC ATACs. I banged one on something and it peeled up a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Simply the best mountain bike pedal system ever to be developed

mtbr member
    I have the aliums on 3 of my bikes, love them, easy in, easy out, never felt "stuck" in them, just well attached if that makes sense, any time I need to bail, I was out fast and safe. Easily serviceable also if need be, haven't needed to, but I like taking things apart.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes they are, I currently use CB Candies, only because they are more readily available, cheaper and lighter. When I rode them I never had a problem with them. I even used the
    Z tac? Pedal and it worked great with a bigger platform

Plays with tools
    Crank Brothers aspires to be Time. Pedals feel fairly similar under foot. One of them falls apart and one doesn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have been doing a little internet surfing on the new Time pedals. Time has 3 new Atac XC pedals out now and they look more refined than ever. They now have a xc6, xc8, and I think xc12. Even the xc6 is now down to 293 grams so very comparable in weight to eggbeaters. I am using Shimano xtr (the newest version) and will we going back to Time pedals this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim86 View Post
    Simply the best mountain bike pedal system ever to be developed
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Crank Brothers aspires to be Time. Pedals feel fairly similar under foot. One of them falls apart and one doesn't.
    These guys nailed it. Time was around and doing their thing well before Crank Brothers debuted their pedal based on Time's working design. The only thing that CB had over Time was the lower weight for each comparable pricepoint. There certainly was a 'buzz' about them when they first came out, based on the small look and the weight, and that you could clip in in both directions and had 4 sides to do that with.

A major draw back with them is the way the spring set up is wound, if you clang a rock etc. on the underside, you can actually release the cleat.

I've ridden Times for about 14 years now, and still have my original pairs in service on some bikes. Work perfectly still.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by psychler View Post
    Make sure you get the ATAC Roc, they have metal plates where the shoe contacts the pedal body which makes them even more durable. Do not get the ATAC XS pedal, just don't.
    Blasphemy. I've got probably 10 sets of atac XS in my garage and some of them are several years old. They're all functioning perfectly.

I did a brief stint with crank brothers and I can't imagine a more unreliable pedal. The only saving grace is their customer service provided repairs/replacements as needed (but they took several weeks). I had to have extra sets of them so that I could still ride while my pedals were out for service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Time cleats also last a long time.
    That's another reason that i hated CB. Even the "premium" cleats wore out very quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Best pedals ever made. Simple, reliable, and lasts forever. They work well and give consistent performance in all conditions while requiring minimal maintenance to keep them ticking. They're well sealed with high quality bearings so you can ride them through hideous conditions without worry. Plus the spindles are strong enough to survive big drops & harsh landings, I've bent several BB's in the past and the Time pedals I had came out just fine, even the lightweight Ti spindle version.

Put it this way, my Time pedals are now 12 & 14 years old and still in everyday use. They've outlasted everything except my Chris King headset and I wouldn't want to take bets on which one dies first.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've actually broken and worn out some Time pedals. They're not immune.

But from what my teammates seem to go through with Crank Brothers...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, nothing is forever, I know someone who's broken a Time pedal as well and in my shop days I've replaced a few sets of bearings. Overall though, the failure rate is about as good as it gets for bike parts.

Crank Bros. on the other hand...I could probably count the people I know who haven't broken one on one hand with fingers left over.

mtbr member
    I have 2 pairs of the XS, very good pedals. I also have sore knees and these pedals are one of the best you can get. I have the carbon version and just purchased titanium spindles for $30. 60-70g of saving.

mtbr member
    +20, or whatever post number we are on. My first set, original style, lasted 8 yrs. love 'em and bought two sets of the original style off eBay for both bikes 3 yrs ago and still perfect. Not sure why they changed the design.
    Will trade for some chicken.