ಠ_ಠ

New question here. Ticking coming from my cranks

I have a fairly new Shimano XT crankset that just started (yesterday) making a ticking sound. Every time the right crank would hit 12:00 and right when I'd apply torque it would make a tick or creak. Then today toward the end of my ride the ticking went from one tick per revolution to multiple and added a sort of woosh noise with it. I had these cranks professionally installed by Speedgoat and I only have about 500 miles on them. Is there something wrong with them? Also, is there any periodic maintenance that needs to be performed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I have a fairly new Shimano XT crankset that just started (yesterday) making a ticking sound. Every time the right crank would hit 12:00 and right when I'd apply torque it would make a tick or creak. Then today toward the end of my ride the ticking went from one tick per revolution to multiple and added a sort of woosh noise with it.
    If it's Hollowtech II and the noise is really coming from the crankset, check the bearing cups to make sure they are tight. You may want to remove them and (re)apply grease to the BB shell threads. Teflon tape can also be used to help the cups stay seated.

If it's Hollowtech I, check the BB cups and the crank / spindle interface. Each interface should be greased and torqued the proper amount.

You should also check the pedal / crank interfaces, the pedals themselves, and the chainring bolts.

Good luck on finding the creak. The Park Tool site has a nice article about troubleshooting noisy drivetrains.

Why are you so sure it's coming from your crankset and not somewhere else?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    My Saints were ticking, narrowed it down to the drive side cup,but I wraped both cups. Took off two of the three black 2.5mm spacers so the cup screwed in the BB further,added a 5mm headset spacer between the cup and drive arm to compensate for the 5mm I removed, then couple wraps teflon plumbers tape and grease. Seems better.

Don't touch me!
    My road bike was making a clicking sound and I was sure it was the crankset. Only happened when I applied torque. It didn't appear during the first 5-6 rides, so I thought everything was just wearing in. So I took the cranks off, greased everything, and the clicking went away... until 10 minutes into my next ride.

Just bought a new wheelset to save the carbon pseudo-rimmed wheelset the bike came with. Pulled the cassette off to put on the new hoops and noticed the freehub was loose on the old wheel. Bike with new wheels doesn't produce a click. Problem solved.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]