mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ti XTR Cassette, does it last loner or is it just the weight savings

Ti XTR Cassette, does it last loner or is it just the weight savings?

I am wondering if the XTR cassette is worth the money because the titanium gears last longer or is it because the cassette is that much lighter

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I doubt it lasts longer, since only the big three are Ti (at least on the 8speed). You are going to wear out the small ones first anyways. Luckily they sell individual cogs. Ti suffers from galling, unlike steel, which is a pulling away of chunks of Ti instead of a gradual wear like steel. That would be my guess as to why the 8speed only has ti for the bigger cogs.
    You don't see ti used as a bearing/bushing material because of galling.

Drew

mtbr member
    I used a Cycle Dynamics 8 speed Ti cassette on my bike for a couple of years. I had zero problems with galling or inordinate amounts of wear probably because I treated the chain with Prolink from the get go, kept it clean and changed the chain whenever it showed the slightest amount of wear. It was a great cassette and shifted almost as well as Shimano...

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/
    Get over it!

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    My experience has been that the XTR cassette is not as durable as XT. I spend a lot of time on the big cogs and keep trying to shift to an even larger nonexistant cog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree about the small cogs wearing out... I have found that on the XT cassettes it is always the smaller cogs that wear out before the larger ones.

As far as galling, I dont think that the friction surface between the chain and the cassette will ever see enough heat for galling to be a factor and if your drivetrain is properly maintained the lubricant should keep the friction to a minimum

My assumtions are that they use titanium more for the weight savings then anything, Why would Shimano want a cassette to last longer... longer lasting cassettes mean less money in the Shimano bank account

mtbr member
    May 2006

XTR cassette more durable?

No it doesn't seem to last any longer than the XT cassette.

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am not a weight weenie, nor do I race cross country... So I just can't justify the price.

Has anyone actaully put both on a postal scale to see what the true weights are?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I got mine for $145 and it weighs 236 grams.

I got my cycle dynamics for $160 and it weighs 240 grams.

The cycle dynamics last an entire winter 2500 km, no probs, and is still good, I just got a new chain Wippermann Ti (it last the winter as well) so I figured why not a new cassette!

No I have the XTR with the Alloy small cogs changed to cycle dynamics ti cogs.