College
    Jun 2004

ti cassette, gear cutting vs cncmachining

Which of these methods for cutting out ti teeth on cassettes and chainrings is better.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    Which of these methods for cutting out ti teeth on cassettes and chainrings is better.
    What's the difference? They both sound like the same process to me, albeit one, gearcutting, could be done manually. They could both use the same cutters, or the CNC could use a smaller cutter and just follow the tooth pattern.

Not a machinist, I've just spent too many hours looking around at the different machining practices, trying to learn.

Monte

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    What's the difference? They both sound like the same process to me, albeit one, gearcutting, could be done manually. They could both use the same cutters, or the CNC could use a smaller cutter and just follow the tooth pattern.

Not a machinist, I've just spent too many hours looking around at the different machining practices, trying to learn.

Monte
    Im not sure myself. I just know cycle dynamics use a gear cutting tool and boone uses cnc.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/gearcut.html

it looks like that thing rotates to cut them ?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    Im not sure myself. I just know cycle dynamics use a gear cutting tool and boone uses cnc.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/gearcut.html

it looks like that thing rotates to cut them ?
    The hob CD uses is the traditional way to cut gears, it's the "manual" way I was talking about. Although, it can be, and is also done "CNC". "CNC" can control almost anything. I don't think you'd be able to tell a difference between either cog/chainwheel performance wise.

Monte