mtbr member

New question here. Thumbs are killing me

I have been riding almost a year now and figured that I would adapt but its not happening. These thumb push shifters are killing my thumbs. They are terribly sore after each ride. So much so that often during the ride I won't even wrap my hands around the bar but let my thumb stick out to the side because the pain is too much.

Are there any other non-thumb pushing shifters around? I simply can't take this anymore. I am not looking ot end up with herculean thumbs either

LCW
    mtbr member
    how are your shifters rotated in relation to the bar? i've found that as delivered from the LBS, most shifters are rotated down and forward way too much, causing one to have to reach with their thumb, resulting in strain and fatigue of your thumb... have you tried rotating your shifters up and back?

for example on my HiFi, my SRAM shifters are rotated up about 60deg (picture the bottom of surface of the shifter as the reference plan, and 0 deg would be parallel to ground.

Here some pics - hopefully conveys what I'm trying to describe. I initially thought I'd hate the dual thumb sram setup, but honestly now that I've used them couldn't see myself going back. It allows you to keep more fingers on the grips for control and braking, imo.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Previous poster has a point with the angle...
    Other things to look at...
    Cables too long, kinked cable inside housing, gunk in housing and or shifter.
    I have thumb problems from years of playing Lacrosse and I do from time to time have pain when using my XT pods (05 model), but usually it has to do with some of the issues I listed.
    Is it BOTH Thumbs or just one more than the other...?
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    I readjusted my shifters to match my typical arm angle. Still the pain persists. Maybe I should unrotate them? Maybe its like the keyboard with the poorly placed keys reducing finger fatigue.

I noticed that I use a sweeping motion with my thumb to activate the gear. Normal thumb motion is squeezing. Ill see if I can stop pushing and start squeezing somehow. Having a hard time figuring it out though

Ologist
    Are the shifters too far out in other words are you have to strecth your thumbc to shift. Maybe shift your brakes and Shifter position.

You could also pick up a pair of Twist shifters.

mtbr member
    No, they are not too far out. But it does seem like I have to push a good length before the shift engages. Twist shift is an option but I am trying to avoid that for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

cable route

Watch out for the cable route sometimes the route has many bends will make the thumbs work hard. You maybe able remove a bend and make the shifting easier.

STINKY TOFU
    If your thumbs are already sore you might want to give them a rest and try again. Its kinda like getting proper running shoes cuz your feet hurt. If your feet havnt had a chance to rest and recover they'll always hurt no matter what shoe you get.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    Previous poster has a point with the angle...
    Other things to look at...
    Cables too long, kinked cable inside housing, gunk in housing and or shifter.
    I have thumb problems from years of playing Lacrosse and I do from time to time have pain when using my XT pods (05 model), but usually it has to do with some of the issues I listed.
    Is it BOTH Thumbs or just one more than the other...?
    Hmm, I never thought of that connection. I played Lacrosse through college (long pole middie) and had sore thumbs at times from laying so many beatings

Now that I got into mountain biking I still get sore hands in the same spot, but I never connected that until now. I did just switch to a twist shifter though, and it feels much better

mtbr member
    When was the last time you lubed your cables?
    My XT's are very smooth and easy.
    I use flac jacket cables with plenty of Finish line sin lube.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Hmm, I never thought of that connection. I played Lacrosse through college (long pole middie) and had sore thumbs at times from laying so many beatings

Now that I got into mountain biking I still get sore hands in the same spot, but I never connected that until now. I did just switch to a twist shifter though, and it feels much better
    6'5" 240lb Crease Attack and Face Off man myself. That's exactly what caused it, getting my thumbs smacked by the likes of your ilk!
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.