mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thumbies and Rapid Rise RD?

Just curious if anyone has had promising experience with using suntour xc-pro thumbies with an xtr 960 sgs or sg rear derailleur? Am I missing something, or are the current XTR RD's only rapid rise???

Does this work with an 8-sp drivetrain and thumbies or is it better to stick to the 952?

Also - I felt the sring tension on the XTR 961 front derailleur and its AWFULLY stiff - anybody have experience with this and thumbies - sometimes my current XT RD will slip back with my thumbshifters, although the cables are probably dirty, which seems to suggest that they can only maintain so much tension.

Thanks

Ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirob
    Just curious if anyone has had promising experience with using suntour xc-pro thumbies with an xtr 960 sgs or sg rear derailleur? Am I missing something, or are the current XTR RD's only rapid rise???

Does this work with an 8-sp drivetrain and thumbies or is it better to stick to the 952?

Also - I felt the sring tension on the XTR 961 front derailleur and its AWFULLY stiff - anybody have experience with this and thumbies - sometimes my current XT RD will slip back with my thumbshifters, although the cables are probably dirty, which seems to suggest that they can only maintain so much tension.

Thanks

Ben
    I am currently running XT pods with XTR rapid rise. I love it!! (I know I may get banned for liking shimano...)
    I feel that when powering up a hill and you need to go to an easier gear, there is less chain tension, and an easier shift ensues. I took me a couple of rides to get used to the new config. Also, I put an XT rapid rise on My wifes Trek Fuel EX7. she finds it easier when changing gears. Thumb trigger = harder. Index finger = easier. (wife logic there)
    Hope this helps
    My wife thinks I am nuts for spending this much on a bike. I tell her I think I am nuts for spending that much on her Diamond ring!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My buddy runs 2x9 with suntour XC pro shifters and a rapid-rise xtr medium cage. very cool set up. If I recall correctly the shifters are 8spd and he tricks them inot working 9spd somehow...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Recs for Thumbies

Thanks for the reply - sounds like an interesting set-up. I'm aadicted to suntour thumbies but I don't understand the latest shimano line? I think I'd rather stick to old school style unless someone says they use the 960RD and love it. The spring seems soo stiff though - my xc-pro thumbies are already having a hard time hold my old xt in place - but its dirty an no rollamajig.

Anybody prefer the 952RD or the 953FD with suntour thumbies - or have good luck with the most current line?

thanks again

b

mtbr member

I use a Shimano thumby with M951 RD

I do not have any experiences with Suntour Thumbies or with the current generation of Shimano rear der's, sorry! But, for the last 5 years I have been using Shimano thumbshifters with a Shimano RD-M951 rapid rise rear der. I really like the shifting using this combo, and never have any slipping of the shifters. I don't know if the Suntour shifters are the same, but the Shimano ones have a nut on the inside that you can tighten to increase the friction if it is slipping, so that might work with the new der's if the spring is stronger.

Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the input - I cant really tell if the spring is tighter than for the suntour design or if the derailleur is just new and unstretched.

I did open the sountour 7/8sp thumbie and didnt see any separate bolt as you describe, but they have a topside wired knob or flange that you can loosen to switch between 7/8sp and friction (or totally uncres to dissemble part o fthe shifter). I've maximally tightened it with my fingers to the point of pain, but still get the slippage. But that might reflect too tight (and dirty) a rear derailleur cable (never did know how much to put back there) and/or absence of a rollamajig. I always wanted to get an older sachs DiRT quartz or a bullseye RD, because I think they are better in design in this regard, but they are nowhere to be found...
    ...anyway I'm geting off the topic - I'm kind of devoted to the suntours as I have two now, and they seem to be lower profile ...... as long as they work!!!

thanks

ben