mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Three chains and cassette still seems like new?

I regulary replace chains as they approach the standard limit of 1/16'' strech,
    I just replaced the third chain, so the new one will be the 4th but still the cassette shifts like new, I never had a chain skip under load.
    Comparing the cassette with a new one, the valleys between specific cogs are a little wider but nothing extreme, still no shark fin teeth. I clean and lube my chain after every major ride-

Is there any advantage in replacing the cassette at this point? Maybe a slightly worn-our cassette will accelerate chain stretch?

How often do you replace your cassette ?
    PS I am referring to 9sp XT drivetrain

Thanks!
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I start new season with new cassette , ride 4500 - 5500 km a season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Do you still have the old chains? If you do, then cycle them until they stretch so much that they skip. Then replace the whole drivetrain ( ie - front rings, chain and cassette )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No. 4-5 chains - 1 cassette.

Never trust a fart
    I'd install a new 4th chain and see if it skips. If it doesn't skip, no need for cassette replacement. If it does, well, you have your answer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have three years and about 5 chains on one XTR 970 cassette. Still doesn't skip and shifts well. You are good to go.

Former Bike Wrench
    In theory, your chains will stretch faster as it "adapts" to the used cassette. I see this in my chains where the initial stretch is fast (1/16 or .75 on Park Tool) but then it doesn't stretch any further for a very long time. I tend to rotate a couple chains on a cassette until the entire set is worn (I have almost never had to replace chainrings) at 1/8 or 1.0

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    I regulary replace chains as they approach the standard limit of 1/16'' strech,
    I just replaced the third chain, so the new one will be the 4th but still the cassette shifts like new, I never had a chain skip under load.
    Comparing the cassette with a new one, the valleys between specific cogs are a little wider but nothing extreme, still no shark fin teeth. I clean and lube my chain after every major ride-

Is there any advantage in replacing the cassette at this point? Maybe a slightly worn-our cassette will accelerate chain stretch?

How often do you replace your cassette ?
    PS I am referring to 9sp XT drivetrain

Thanks!
    If you are having no problems, do not change the cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    In theory, your chains will stretch faster as it "adapts" to the used cassette. I see this in my chains where the initial stretch is fast (1/16 or .75 on Park Tool) but then it doesn't stretch any further for a very long time. I tend to rotate a couple chains on a cassette until the entire set is worn (I have almost never had to replace chainrings) at 1/8 or 1.0
    I swap wheels a lot so I almost do the opposite. Keep one chain on and use 3-4 different cassettes. Replace the chain more by "feel" than measurement. After ~3 seasons one of the cassettes has a cog that jumps. May just replace that one cog.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator
    Do you still have the old chains? If you do, then cycle them until they stretch so much that they skip. Then replace the whole drivetrain ( ie - front rings, chain and cassette )
    +1 The key to good cassette life is replacement of chains before they wear the cassette too much, and the OPs experience bears that out.

But at some point the benefit of new chains diminishes, so it makes sense to recycle used ones for a second life cycle. This is a variation of the 2 or 3 chains in rotation approach used effective by serious road riders to maximize cassette life.

Done carefully it's possible to get cassette life equal to 6 or more chains, while only paying for three.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks everybody for the feedback, rotating chanins seems like a great idea, made even simpler by the Powerlink connection I use on all chains.
    And since the mud season is started, I will put this suggestion to good use, rotating chains until the cassette skips.

The second doubt was related to the accelerated wear of a new chain on a used cassette, and it seems that mtnbiker72 has some evidence of this.
    So I will keep my new chin in the toolbox and rotate old chains trhough the mud season.

cheers
    fab
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I get about 5 chains to a cassette.