mtbr member

Thoughts on ceramic bearings?

Hey guys/gals

Thinking about switching out the standard hollowtec bearings with ceramic enduros. In your experiences have any of you noticed a significant performance change, or would you say it's more bling factor?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The enduros lasted me about a year...the Shimanos lasted three months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's bling. In cycling applications, you don't really reach the RPMs where you would see benefits from ceramics (so I have been told).

A big benefit, though, is that they tend to wear better than steel balls (or course, with proper lubrication) and they can't rust. If you are still going to go the ceramic route, spend the extra money on full ceramic bearings (races and balls) so you can reap the rust free benefits. Just remember that good maintenance completely kills this benefit, and saves a stupid amount of money.

Good quality ABEC 5 steel balls will perform just as well, albeit a bit heavier. Unless you can get a good deal on the hybrid bearings (cheaper than the ABEC 5 steel ones), and are able to deal with the few extra grams, my opinion would be not to bother.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I wouldnt bother with them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The ABEC 5 level is pretty damn good. I've had the absolute best longevity from an Enduro Ceramic BB, but the performance is no better than ABEC 5 level.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Tool
    This topic comes around from time to time. The real benefit of ceramics is the way they feel. Steel bearings are efficient and long-lasting, but do not have the silky smooth feel of ceramics. For some this is worth the cost, for others, not so much.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.