mtbr member

Thinking about going 2x9

I'm thinking about converting my 3x9 set up to 2x9 by buying a 2x10 crankset like the SRAM S1400. If I understand what I've read in other threads then I would need the 2x10 crank and a 10 speed chain. What I'm unclear on is whether I would need to buy a new 2x10 front derailleur. I'd like to get by with my current FD and adjust the limit screws. Any input would be helpful. thanks!

mtbr member
    Have you considered just buying a bashguard and putting it on in place of your big ring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

use your current FD

if you want to convert to 2X9 and see if you like it, you just take off your 44t chainring and adjusting the H-Limit on your FD until you cannot shift onto the biggest chain ring. Either get a bash guard or you are going to find single chainring bolts for your middle ring.

Or you can get a truvativ aka 2.1 Am crankset with comes with a bashguard and a gxp bb. Again just adjust the H-limit screw on your FD. I have this setup in 24t-36t front & 11-34t cassette and it pretty happy about it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Inuitbiker; 07-08-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typ

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. The truvativ setup sounds interesting and I might have to look into it.

However, I was really interested in getting the 26-39t that would be available with the SRAM S1400. I'm just not sure if my 3x9 FD will shift well with a 2x10 crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Give scram a call to confirm. 1-312-664-8800. They are on C.S.T.

but I don't see why it would not work. I called Sram before I purchased the aka 2.1 crankset and they said it is basically the SRAM S1400 with bashguard, different chain rings, and some material/weight differences. I kept my 3X9 FD and just adjusted my H-limit and added some cable tension at the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Its been shifting great ever since.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been running the sram s1400 26/39 on my 29er for a few hundred miles without problems with my 9 speed drivetrain. I have 3x9 front derailleur, sram x9 3x front shifter and a 9 speed chain. Simply readjust your limit screws and you should be good to go!

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the input. Sounds like it should work no matter which route I choose. I'm also going to look into the truvativ AKA. Looks like it's pretty much the S1400 but with a bashguard. Even has the same weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
    Thanks again for the input. Sounds like it should work no matter which route I choose. I'm also going to look into the truvativ AKA. Looks like it's pretty much the S1400 but with a bashguard. Even has the same weight.
    yeah, the bashguard & chainrings of the aka sold it for me. I got mine from outsider outfitters for about $143 with shipping but took 3 to 4 days to ship.