XC/Trail
    Apr 2009

Are these Candy SL's or X's?

I bought a pair of Crank Brothers Candy pedals.. they guy at the shop told me that they came on a bike that they bought from a distributor and it came with the pedals. so they took them off and were selling them for $100. You could tell they were brand new and not used. I asked him the model and he said candy sl's. It wasnt just a speech error as i asked him a few times because of the odd packaging and whatnot. So, they have a black body like most candies but a red spring. there is no little medal kickplates on them just a composite body. on crankbrothers website under colour options there is not red option for candy x's or candy c's.. so i kinda believe that they are candy sl's. but where are the kickplates?. whats your opinion. is it just because they are OEM (assuming cause they came on a bike) or are they candy x's?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FWIW..It sounds to me like they are Smartys. On the Cannondale Rize, crankbrother provides Smarties that are black with no metal on the top and red springs. I have both the smarties and sl's and there is a big difference in the platform and esthetics. My sl's have a blue spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Agreed...

those are either X's or Smarties, and they can be had for less than $100! Most likely X's as the Smarties, while they don't have the metal shields, do usually have a two tone (gray and black) body, and a silver spring. Though I have seen them with a red spring before. Not that it really matters. What does matter is they are NOT SL's, and the shop must be out of their mind asking $100 for them! Whether they are X's or Smartys, either can be had for less than $50 online!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"