J-Flo
    Apr 2012

Is there a maximum safe number of master links?

My relatively new 9-speed KMC chain has been broken open twice now on the trail for repairs (serious rear derailleur issues ) because the master links were sticking and could not be removed without the special tool that I did not have with me. Reassembling the chain would require a third master link. My question -- does the chain become unsafe at some point when it has multiple master links? Is there a maximum safe number? Thanks to the experts.

conjoinicorned
    Nope. Technically an entire chain could be made of master links (well alternating anyways) and really there is no reason to have an issue. I've used 4 in a chain and never broke at any of the master links
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! I was wondering if a chain issue might have caused my rd failure yesterday, sounds like not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There are rules about this, not sure I remember them. Keep them so many links apart and no more than so many per chain.

I just ignore the rules and have been running two, two links apart. Not sure if that is why one of them broke the other day, but it probably didn't help. I wouldn't screw around with this on my motorcycle, but on a mountain bike I don't care. If you race, don't do it.