Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is there any difference among x7,x9 and x0 gripshifters?

926 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ducktape 
#1 ·
I know that the prices are way different, but other than the shape of the rubber grip haven't been able to see or even feel any differences from one model to the next. Am I missing something, or is everyone who buys x0 gripshift a sucker?

Thanks,
Will

#4 ·
The internals are the same. The casing is a little different on each. The weight is listed as the same, but who know.

The XO have a different grip, more aggressive, and a teflon coated cable. I have the X9 and they shift great. I do have full cable housing the the shifter.

#6 ·
ziscwg, just curious, how do you know the innards are the same, have you dissembled each model and verified? You work for SRAM? To be honest, my original response wasn't to what you could see or feel, but rather what is very hard to see...but if SRAM is able to sell each model based on different grips, well, then the OPs concern about being a sucker would have some merit. I'm no fan of gripsh*ts in the first place for the record, hate shifting when I don't want to.

#7 ·
I did dissasemble an X9 twistie once (kind of a modification gone wrong). Believe me what I saw inside made me think that the manufacturers are making big profits! Like a spring a piece of metal and some plastic, voila pretty simple, but stuffed if I could figure out how to put it back together to work again!

Anyway, the differences, there are obviously external ones. And I would say there is probably some internal differences too, just to make them feel a bit different from each other - perhaps maybe even as simply as the loudness of the "clicks" when you twist.

I currently have an X7, and it does sound / feel a bit different to what the X9 did. But apart from cosmetics I don't think it's worth paying the extra for X0, I don't beliebve the value for money is there in regards to the "upgrades" they may have given it. If function and price is more important to you than anything else I'd stick with the X7. No denying the X0 looks good, so on that not if you like it better and have the $$ then go for it, it may even feel a bit better than the X7 in the way it works, but in the end they will both get the job done the same way.

Something to note, the X7 twistie may be uglier, but the lower profile of the rubber grip area seems to go better with standard grips that are cut down to suit, or even the supplied sram ones. If you have big hands then you may like X9 & X0 better.
And that's the other thing - I brought my X9 off ebay so didn't get grips with it, I brought the x7 off an LBS and got the sram grips with it. So there could be a difference between the actual handlebar grips that coe with the other models, which may make the price difference more worthwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.