mtbr member

that's some funny shift, right there, ....

local harassment has waned, so i figured i'd ask for some teasing here.

i've been running it this way on all my bikes, for fifteen years, now.

i prefer the xt friction shifter for the front derailleur.
    i only have 2 of the push-push xt rear shifters left, that still work correctly. not sure what i'll do when they're toast. i don't like the push-trigger style

ok. there's my eccentricity. who else is running some funny shift? post up, wierdos.

boki rides a clark kent from 1994
    and a vw R32 from 2004

mtbr member
    Dont have any pics, but I'll never give up my thumbies.

I run a set of 20+ year old Deore thumbshifters that i found in my parents garage.... in fact even retired my XT rapidfires in favor of them. They're technically 5 speed, but i can run 8 or 9 because they don't index. Practically no adjustments and they never wear out!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would kill for a set of decent friction thumb shifters. I hate indexed shifting. I scan E-bay everyday for Deore Xt or Suntour expert XC 7/8 friction thumbies. But lately they have been auctioning out at over a $100 a pair. I'll keep waiting I guess.

Hardbooter
    I recall my Grandfather's Canadian made Raleigh having the coolest shifters I've ever seen.

They were very early Shimano Indexed Shifting shifters, but they had a little switch on the side that had two options, "SIS" and "F" If you're sick of the Indexed shifting, you just flipped the switch, and it was a beautiful friction shift. Wouldn't work for a newer bike, as it was a 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson
    ... early Shimano Indexed Shifting shifters, but they had a little switch on the side that had two options, "SIS" and "F" If you're sick of the Indexed shifting, you just flipped the switch, and it was a beautiful friction shift. Wouldn't work for a newer bike, as it was a 10 speed.
    that was so you could retrofit them on five and six cog rear derailleurs, so the indexing wouldn't leave you between cogs

i still have a few of them in the bin
    boki rides a clark kent from 1994
    and a vw R32 from 2004

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Still using some old Suntour thumbies for the front shifting duties on both my rides. And SRAM 9.0 SL for the rear. Love the combo.

I'd buy a kick ass 9spd thumby setup.

Yes, I know you can cludge up something with Paul mounts and drop bar bar end shifters; don't like it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I found some, I landed a pair of suntour friction shifter break lever combos. The friction shifter is 100% friction non indexed ratcheted in one direction and is mounted on xc break levers. They were unopened still sealed NOS. The guy I bought them from said he thought they were from around 1984 or 1985. When I cut the package open it kind of smelled like 1985. I got them on late last night and they work perfect. I will try to post some pics tonight

mtbr member
    May 2008
    here they are cell phone pics arent the greatest.

0826082344.jpg

0826082344a.jpg

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrennau
    I would kill for a set of decent friction thumb shifters. I hate indexed shifting. I scan E-bay everyday for Deore Xt or Suntour expert XC 7/8 friction thumbies. But lately they have been auctioning out at over a $100 a pair. I'll keep waiting I guess.
    Saw ya already found a pair - congrats!

If you ever need a different pair - try the Paul's thumbies route. Still about $100 ($50 for the mounts, $50 for the shifters), but as good (if not better) than the old thumbies I used to use.

Friction (where mine are set) or pick your poison for 7/8/9/10 speeds.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...