Thread: Thanks SRAM !

mtbr member

Thanks SRAM !

Your customer service is over the top! I had trouble with an X9 derailleur "sticking" (unable to descend to the smallest cogs even with zero cable tension). I took the unit to my LBS and bought an X7 just to get through deer hunting season. Bonney Lake Bike (of Sumner, Washington) called SRAM and before they even had a chance to inspect the X9, SRAM sent me an X0 (free, no shipping). In the last two years I've been completely screwed by LG electronics (when their under-warranty dishwasher ruined my home) and State Farm Insurance (when they attempted to deny my home-owner's claim for water damage.....that's a long story). How refreshing to deal with an outfit that stands behind what they sell!
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Not to be the constant pessimist but Sram's "good" customer service on this one is due to their bad quality control. Sticky pivots have been a pretty common issue with both the X9 and X7s, along with other things, and they are just sending out upgrades under warranty to avoid the customer having the same issue twice and rethinking their brand choice.

I have had this issue with two derailers on my own bike and with some of the bikes I sell. Unfortunately didn't know this was a common problem until after i dished out the money to replace the first one, so I'm a little salty because of that. The second I did get replaced with an X0, but only after Sram shipped me the wrong part and I had to call them back, most people would be happy but I refuse to put that carbon caged crap on my bike.

Sorry for the rant, but like I said I'm a little salty about the whole thing.

mtbr member
    send it my way then! At least it's a good gesture even if it is a common problem. Many companies fail to act even when there is an obvious problem. I enjoyed my 2010 season as my first on SRAM mech, no problems for my with drivetrain or AVID brakes.

mtbr member
    My 2006 Cannondale was equipped with X7. I smashed the first derailleur after going over the bars. I put on a second X7 and pedaled over 300,000 vert off-road in a year with no issues. In fact, I continued to experience accurate shifting after the unit was clearly loose and worn out.

This summer I put on a new chain, cogs and the X9. I was a little perplexed when the sticking issue surfaced this month (5 miles behind a gate on a scouting mission) and figured it just needed lube. After removing the X9 and trying every lube trick I know, it continued to stick. At that point I noticed that I may have bumped a rock or root, but I failed to observe any bending. I read on this site about sticking-pivot issues and concluded maybe the pivots are just a little tighter than they need to be (otherwise maybe a little bend wouldn't impair functionality?) Who knows? My general experience with Sram products has been good and now I feel "taken care of" given the most recent episode.

Oh well. My bike-facilitated "late-buck" adventures were tabled Wednesday when I learned from my doc that I've developed a hernia. Surgery scheduled for Monday. Wish me luck.
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ